Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Automatic Door Locks, Can I Disarm?

Is there a way to do away with the automatic door locks on a '95 Legacy? I've locked my keys in the car about six times now, and it's driving me crazy! I'm hoping maybe I can just pull a fuse or else unplug a wire connector to get them to quit working. Thanks.

No. What I'm talking about is whenever I start the car the doors automatically lock. When I go out to start the car to let it warm up in the winter, if I don't remember to unlock the doors again after I start the car, the doors are locked when I get out with the keys in the car and running. What a pain that is! For what it's worth, the car didn't do that when I first bought it. So I don't know if there is something wrong now or if there was something wrong before. Either way, I'm tired of being locked out of my own car.

Guest 98legacy

I'm assuming it's about the same as a '98.

If you want to disable it there are two alternatives:-

The easiest is to pull Fuse 25 (it's the 4th of the group of 5 in the main fuse box in the engine compartment, #1 being nearest the engine and #5 being nearest the wing). Mine is 15A. This also disables the clock LED illumination, the interior lights and the radio memory though.

The alternative is to pull the plug from the socket on the central locking module. On my car this is located in the passenger side, right up inside the cavity near the A-pillar and behind the passenger side fresh air vent. You get at it by looking up from underneath the outer side of the glovebox.

Although my car is RHD, I think everything on a LHD car is reversed so that the words in the previous paragraph remain correct.

Good luck