Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY Cold Air Intake

Good morning, everyone. My '94 daily driver is not long for this world and I'm about to start turning it into my lab. One thing I want to try is to build my own cold air intake. Has anyone tried this? If so, could you point me to a URL or two? I'm starting to gather inspiration.

Suggestions for other inexpensive, yet cool, mods are most welcome.

Thanks,

BB

I assume it's a Loyale? Not sure how to do a cold air intake on that, because I think it actually draws from inside the fender or something.

I've made cold air intakes for other cars (that have an easily accessible snout coming off the air cleaner) with PVC pipe or large pool suction hose. Dryer vent is not really stout enough for long term. On some cars (my diesel rabbit) it made a very noticeable difference...

Z

EA82 cars have a true cold-air intake installed from the factory. The inner fenderwell is where your air comes from. The design is really effective...but I guess you want something louder, huh? ;)

You should know that most aftermarket "Cold-air intake" units (like the super-loud one on your neighbor's Civic) actually draw air from the hot engine bay where air is less dense and actually drain power...

HOWEVER - - - -

On your car, you can modify the "guts" of the intake tract to make it louder and likely more free-flowing. Maybe you want to snag a K&N panel filter. And I'm no expert on EA82 cars, but I think you can do some kind of "de-snork"ing to them like the popular EJ22(T) modification. Search around here for "de-snork" and see what you can glean.

If you are dead-set on the loud, rice-type setup - I saw a CAI for another car with a cone filter inside an EA engine bay a while back...I'll try to hunt down a picture or description...(you can modify stuff to work anywhere if you've got the gumption)

• 3 weeks later...

Remove the right(passenger) side fender and you'll see the intake muffler. Remove and discard. Cut a larger hole in the body between the air box and the fender, cut a larger hole in the airbox, and use a larger hose or pipe to route air from inside the fender to the airbox.

Some have removed the airbox from under the hood, extended the intake hose, and mounted a K&N inside the fender.

i was wondering if this K&N Apollo Universal Closed Intake System would work on a ea81 with the Weber carb

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

I'm not sure about the carb'd EA81, but it looks like an alternative for the EA82T guys and maybe even the guys who have done EJ20G conversions. It would definately be better than sucking hot engine compartment air into the engine. The "End User" would just have to make sure and not route it too low so as not to worry about ingesting water.

WATER + ENGINE INTAKE = :eek::dead:(Hydrolock)

Patrick

• 2 months later...