Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm bad...I bought a Dodge!

Heres some pics, I didnt get any details because halfway through my planned time in the yard I had to go rescue one of my buddies, lost all his coolant in traffic, hope theres no major damage. Ill definatly be goin back there soon so I'll get the details then.

Picture895.jpg

Picture896.jpg

Picture898.jpg

Picture897.jpg

Oh definitely not a beater or a racer. More of a daily driver. I'm restoring it somewhat to as close to stock as possible. I'm not dumping a ton of $$ in to it though, but you can do a lot to these older cars for fairly cheap and have them looking nice and running great!

Todd

great looking car...One of my coworkers has a 1972 Colt wagon(rear wheel drive), with a 71 engine (found out when parts wouldnt fit)...showed him your pics today...boy, he said finding parts for his is IMMPOSSIBLE....still runs good.......

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a question to pose to all the great Subaru mechanics!

This Colt/Mitsubishi has about 110K on it. It's a 1.6 inline engine. These things has issues with oil burn from the MCA jet valves. (Stem seals)

If the rings look good after a compression test, would it be a terrible thing to place a rebuilt cylinder head on an engine with 110K? Too much for the bearings? Rings? Anyone with any Mitsu experience? This is a 4G32/G32B engine.

I have a nice used engine that was stored well and only has 10K on it, but I'd rather save that engine for later. Cylinder heads are pretty easy on this car compared to a Subi and I have a rebuild head just ready to install.

Thanks in advance.... Todd

.attachment.php?attachmentid=7477&stc=1&d=1268811424

post-144-13602763979_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

RE: replacing the head.....

I understand your fear. The mileage is borderline I would say. I would probably base my final decision on the compression numbers and how much they are affected by wetting the rings down with oil. If they aren't affected to any great degree I would probably chance putting on a rebuilt head - though I wouldn't try to port/polish or do anything performance wise that would put undo stress on the bottom end.

If it's questionable - I would install new stem seals on the existing head and hope for the best.

At the end of the day you have your insurance policy in that 10k engine so.... you have more room to take chances like a rebuilt head on a high mileage (for that era) motor.

BTW - that's a neat little car. I'm not much for Mitsu's but my experience has always been with the (terrible) DSM stuff and not with the older (and probably much better) japanese stuff. I still see a fair number of those older colts around here in the NW - they must last a long time. If I see any in the yards I'll be sure to let you know.

GD

I think I will do the wet compression check and see. I know it's a pretty strong runner, so we shall see.

It's certainly not a Subaru, but it has my curiousiy and I'm really liking the smallness of it. It's pretty simple too....much like my favorite Subys.

Todd