Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifting 91 Legacy Wagon

SubaruJawn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no not you gloyale coming over strong. could have said hay i think you made a mistake. i thought we were all here to help each other. my wife loves the outback lift and wants to go bigger now. looking for bigger tires now. don't know if staying with 14" or going to 15". she wants mud tires don't think at's aren't agressive enough.

no not you gloyale coming over strong. could have said hay i think you made a mistake. i thought we were all here to help each other. my wife loves the outback lift and wants to go bigger now. looking for bigger tires now. don't know if staying with 14" or going to 15". she wants mud tires don't think at's aren't agressive enough.

Sorry.

You just seemed so sure.

It is a great mod, glad you are happy with it.

thank you. it's not my jeep but it's fun in a diffrent way. when i got my parts i got everything,struts, trailing arms,(witch i boxed in for extra strenth)and mounts. i can post a pic if any one wants to see them boxed in.

Edited by rtcaravan

• 3 weeks later...

So...I have a 90 AWD L Wagon, I need struts anyway (mine provide no damping), and if I got some 95-99 Outback KYBs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-4-GR2-STRUTS-SHOCKS-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-95-to-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a15Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120395837437QQitemZ120395837437QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They would fit my stock springs, and I would get an inch or two of lift?

Sweet! (time to replace some baldy low-pro tires for some knobby high-pros :grin: )

• 6 months later...

This Project My Continue.

on my Recent 1990 Subaru Legacy.

just got today.

Cleaned up the car alittle removed some stickers will have all removed eventually

Edit: Pictures

HPIM4087.jpg

HPIM4088.jpg

HPIM4089.jpg

HPIM4090.jpg

HPIM4091.jpg

HPIM4092.jpg

HPIM4093.jpg

i yet have much more cleaning to do.

as for the hood.

it was coming up on me when driving it back. luckily i was able to prevent it from coming up and hitting the Windshield (has happened to me before)

and side marker was only duck tapped in and had to remove it before it fell off and broke.

other than that He Ran Like a Charm! 210 Miles no Mechanical problems

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i just did this. I used 98 outback struts, springs and top hats. the fronts bolted rite in. same top hat as the legacy. I used some camber bolts on the bottom whole of the struts (front) to get good camber. The rears don't bolt rite up. I took a 3/8 drill bit and drilled a whole on the out side of the original top hat hole. The out back top hats have a wider hole pattern. Its just tin and really easy to drill. I then used 3/8 fender washers to back up the nut. I used camber bolts on the rear too. I didn't change the rear arm and I don't think I need to the wheel looks quite centered.

This took about 4 hours. I did it rite in the drive way. Hardest part was un bolting the struts. I like the lift a lot. I really is a big change of stance and driving. I put bigger tires on too . My old struts had 250,000 on them and totaly blown up.

the first out back, 95/96, struts aren't any different than the legacy no lift.

the first out back, 95/96, struts aren't any different than the legacy no lift.

Just 95

96s' are lifted

For future reference it really is better to Use the tophats that match the car, rather than redrill the body. You still get lift just reusing the legacy springs

• 1 month later...

WTF:

only 2" clearance behind Door ?

HPIM4962.jpg

Yeah, that is normal. The travel geometry means it moves away from that spot under compression.

If you go to a MUCH larger tire (205/70/15) or bigger you will need to either trim/bash and or get the trailing arm mount bracket from an outback....though with trimming it isn't needed.

Yeah, that is normal. The travel geometry means it moves away from that spot under compression.

If you go to a MUCH larger tire (205/70/15) or bigger you will need to either trim/bash and or get the trailing arm mount bracket from an outback....though with trimming it isn't needed.

i rather get Trailing arm Bracket. i really don't wanna trim the car. its in far to good of shape. if it was rotted then i wouldn't mind it.

thanks for the Input.

i rather get Trailing arm Bracket. i really don't wanna trim the car. its in far to good of shape. if it was rotted then i wouldn't mind it.

thanks for the Input.

Well with the current wheels and tires you don't need to do anything.

You STILL may need to trim to get a tire size you want. The wheel well opening is on;y so wide, and at a certain point unless you lift it 20" to clear the body entirely, you need to put a larger circle into a small hole.

Don't be affraid of the BFH........it's your friend here. go slow and it will look fine. The larger tires will make it look so much better that you won't even notice the "massage" work done to the body.

Well with the current wheels and tires you don't need to do anything.

You STILL may need to trim to get a tire size you want. The wheel well opening is on;y so wide, and at a certain point unless you lift it 20" to clear the body entirely, you need to put a larger circle into a small hole.

Don't be afraid of the BFH........it's your friend here. go slow and it will look fine. The larger tires will make it look so much better that you won't even notice the "massage" work done to the body.

ok. i see what you mean. i may only put tires close.

far as i figured since 3" lift i can fit 3" bigger tires

stock 24" so maybe 27" ?.

If you want to know what's the biggest tire you can put on there with out any cutting or beating, you need to measure the distance from the center of each hub to the edge of the wheel wells. This dimension will be the radius, and you want to make sure you get a tire that won't rub on bumps or turns.

Your formula for tire size is totally wrong, because the wheel wells don't automatically widen when you add the lift and because the center of the hub at stock is way up in the wheel well. You have to measure to know, every vehicle is different.

Other than that, it looks good with the outback struts!

-Bill