Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 SPFI driveability problems

OK, so I got my car together a few weeks back. It ran , but something seemed a little off............you know that feeling if you have owned a car a long time; you know how it should perform and this was just not right..............

It would accelerate fine up to half-throttle, then it felt like I was running out of gas or spark......hard to tell, so I changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires and re-timed the engine. I even tried advancing it slightly.........no change. So as a last resort, I decided I would pull the "snorkel" off the throttle body and look at the "spray pattern" of the injector........kind of tricky; since the MAF loses air flow at this point and the engine stops...........so I thought I would pull it off real quick, shine my mag light down inside. Maybe my fuel pump was not delivering enough fuel, or maybe it was dribbling the gas out of the injector in tead of a "mist"...........

So I fired it up, loosened the clamp, flashlight at the ready, slipped the snorkel off and.......................

There was a rag stuffed in one side of the throttle body! :banghead:

I had plugged everything while the engine was apart to prevent dirt, dust and whatever from getting into the "snorkel" while all was apart................I guess it got sucked in when I first got it fired up.......................God, did I feel dumb :o .

I though you guys might get a good laugh out of this, so.......

:D

Oh, it's running fine now..........

I still have a slight part-throttle surge..........it goes away when I mash the accelerator all the way down; but returns when I'm not accelerating............

I did change the fuel filter last month; as well as the air filter......

Yes, I checked for rags ! :drunk::grin:

i've got a good one too. just happened a few hours ago. i got my engine all hooked up after installing my new clutch and when i tried to put it in gear it would not move. it felt like the pressure plate was pulling away just fine. i fiddled with the cable for about ten minutes, to no avail. so i decided that i must have done something wrong and would need to pull the engine again. so i started and about five minutes into the operation i miraculousl decided to check to make sure that the transaxle wasn't in neutral. sure enough it was. somehow this just slipped my mind while i was troubleshooting the clutch. definitely a close call.

Any ideas on my part-throttle surge? Doesn't seem to matter if I am going up or downhill, flatland................As long as I floor it, all is good...............fuel pressure? I don't want to guess at this point, my knowledge of this FI system is limited.

part throttle surge could be a bad TPS (throtle position sensor) or a over active EGR valve. those are the first 2 things that come to mind.

fuel pressure is probably ok if it get better with full throttle.

as for rags in motors, I did a real good one once. I did intake gaskets on a 97 chevy 350 after work. I had put rags in the lifter vally during cleaning. well AFTER I put the intake back on and was about to install the dist. I realized what I did. I fished them out through the dist. hole in the manifold. thats why I dont like to rush jobs. something always gets overlooked.

RR, I know what you mean................but all's well that ends well, right?

I guess I'm just going to have to live with the surging problem, I just don't have the time or money to keep futzing with this car.

I only get 19 mpg now........I got 24-27mpg before.

I'm going to let this thread die, I just though someone would have an idea as to what is causing this condition.

Thanks for all the help so far (refering to other threads also).

This IS a great site............:headbang: