Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2009 Forester Hill Holder

After driving my 98 Legacy mt for 10 years, I bought a base model 09 Forester mt last summer. When I try to use the hill holder, it holds for a couple of seconds after I let off the brake peddle and then lets go even though I have the clutch peddle full depressed.

I was told by the service department at my Subaru dealership that this is the way the "hill assist" feature is now supposed to work. On my 98 Legacy, the hill holder held until I let up on the clutch peddle and made driving in hilly Cincinnati much easier.

If the dealership is correct, then it makes the hill assist virtually useless. It just does not hold long enough.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Did the service people at my dealership know what they were talking about? Is there any adjustment that would make it hold longer?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Who did you talk to at the dealership?

It sounds like to me it may just need adjusting, which you can easily do yourself and not screw anything up. If it works like the old one there should be another cable at the clutch fork. Turn the nut 1/2 turn at a time. It just sounds like its on the hairy edge of being properly adjusted.

nipper

Our '08 FXT has the hil holder. It will let go with the slightest lift of the clutch, and I mean very slight! Anyway, it doesn't seem quite right that your hill holder would be set to release after a given amount of time. Who knows how long you will need to sit at that stop sign or light!

Get a second opinion.

As I understand it, the 09 Forester has a hydraulic clutch so that the old cable system for the hill holder no longer applies. I knew how to adjust that on the 98 Legacy.

I assumed that the problem was about the hill holder being out of adjustment, but thought that since it was under warrantee and I needed an oil change, I'd let the dealer take care of it.

I was hoping someone on this board would know what the deal was with this, so that I could go back to the dealer with ammunition.

Thanks,

Fritz

http://www.jbcarpages.com/subaru/forester/2009/index3.php

"The five-speed manual shifter feels soft, has a longish throw, and raises the NVH level in the cabin, but we'd still choose it over the automatic with the non-turbocharged engine. A nice touch on models with the standard five-speed manual transmission is Incline Start Assist, an upgrade for 2009 over what was previously called Hill Holder. If the car is stopped on a hill, when you pull out in first gear, the brake stays applied for one second after you take your foot off the pedal, allowing time to accelerate smoothly. "

Aparently they use the computer to do this. The abs/stability control works in tandom to hold one brake caliper for one second. They have deemed that long enough to do the fiddling you need to move the car from a dead stop on a hill.

nipper

Nipper,

Thanks, this is generally what the Subaru service department told me. I don't know what the previous Forester hill holder did, but the 09 version seems like a major down grade from the hill holder on my 98 legacy. It just seems really stupid.

Fritz

The last one was a mechnical check valve that had a large steel ball in it and a cable actuated release valve that operated off the clutch fork.

I wonder if it can be adjusted in any way.

I can see from a car mfgs point of view that it is just a simple software addon to make it work. All the parts are already there for everything else. Maybe try retraining yourself on how to drive a stick? i know older hill holders spoil us to hold the clutch pedal down at hills. and no need to step on the brake.

I had one too in an 88 and loved it.

nipper

Nipper,

You are right about retraining myself. I think that the new system will work, if I learn to work with it - its just so different from the old system that I was used to.

Then again as my daughter reminded me, I can always go back to the old faithful hill holder - the hand brake. That seems to work just fine for her in her mt Honda Fit.

Fritz

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2008 Forester and the hillholder will hold as long as the clutch pedal is pressed. For the owner of the 2008 model who said his hillholder will release at the lightest lift of the foot on the clutch pedal: your system needs to be adjusted. My Owners' Manual outlines how to adjust it, it should be in yours too.