Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL hatchback speakers for the rear.

I am planning the audio system for Grover. What size are the rear speakers? I have been told both 4" and 5.25". I know a few of you have some experience with the install, so I posted up.

Provided a 5.25" will work, I am looking at the Lanzar VX50S. They should help me to avoid mounting depth issues.

If mounting depth isn't an issue for the rear, I may go another route.

Thanks for your time.

j.

I know that Pooparu installed speakers in the rear of his hatch, but I could not find the thread. Much of the material for this topic seems to have gone "bye-bye" with the USMB hack. When I get around to starting the project of striping out the interior, Raamating, re-wiring, etc. I will be sure to document the process for the site.

Thanks again for the help.

i put 5.25" speakers in the rear of my 84 hatch. all i had to do was drill new holes and then i ran the screws through a washer, through the sheetmetal, through a stack of washers (to lower the speaker and clear the smaller hole), through the speaker, then through another washer and finally two nuts (the second is to lock them together and prevent loosening with vibration - i used a bit of threadlocker, too). eventually i'd like to open up the hole in the sheetmetal but i had no depth issues even after spacing them down from the sheetmetal. once i get the deck installed i can let you know how they sound...:grin: