Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI one EA81

A member of the old message board has put SPFI onto his EA81. If I remember right his board name was Rugiver (SP?). I went looking for some of the pictures he took of it but I didn't find any. Doing the change dose require retrofitting an SPFI distributor to work with an EA81 engine. It's not any easy thing to do but it can be done.

rguyver put spfi on an na ea81, and then adapted a turbo to the setup.

i myself have mockes up such a setup, but nothing tht i put togethe in working order.

but to put spfi on an ea81, you will have to modify the spfi distributor to match the gear on the ea81 dist, just flip the gear over, or swap the gear itself.

the intake will match the portsm but you will have clearance issues with the egr valve and the distributor. i removedd the egr and made a block off plate. the spfi distributor has 2 mounting flanges, one of which i hgad to cut off...

on the ea81 motor, i removed the dostrubutor mounting flange and installed it upside down. the ditributor body was mounted 180 backwards, but with the rotor in proper alignment. the wires were connected to the cap 180 off, to keep the same timing with the rotor itself

will this be spfi in an ea81 car, or an ea81 motor into an spfi car?

I looked into using an SPFI manifold to mount a carb. It could be done, but you'd have to fabricate an adapter. The throttle body mounting surface is heavily tilted toward the front of the car, and carbs like to be level most of the time. On the other hand, the SPFI manifold does look to me like it might be slightly better flowing than the carb one, but who knows just by eyeballing it.

I'm surprised I don't see more people here using EA82 carbs/manifolds on their EA81s. They are bigger carbs, and the 4wd versions still didn't have computers. For that matter, I believe Isuzu trucks had even larger carbs that bolt-up to EA82 carb manifolds. I always wanted to try one of these, but then I found an EA81T and my carb plans all went out the window.

*checkpoint*

Um, I tried putting an EA82 manifold on my EA81 engine. I had a couple of problems...

the car I was getting the manifold/carb from was a FWD EA82... which means, it was an electronically controlled carb. If I REALLY wanted to keep this carburetor, I should have grabbed the ECU too.

But most importantly, there are some issues with the distributor and the water jacket being in the way, the EGR valve, and of course, the water pipe in the back of the manifold wants to ride on the lip of the block in the back. so that has to be ground down (or I could be wrong)

But trying to put this damn thing on is what screwed my up in the first place... I crossthreaded a screw.

But yeah, it's quite a bit bigger on the carb mount opening...

Mr. Rguyver was very nice about explaining some other mods he did so maybe try asking him about the SPFI system on the EA-81. Bolting on the manifold etc should be easy. Switching the disty gear, the electronics, and the fuel system...that might be interesting but not that bad if you have time to putz.

I'm the fool that put the SPFI intake on my EA81 and made the bolt-on Weber adapter plate to keep the carb level. I think it works good but I've spouted enough on that already. In retrospect I kinda wish I had gone SPFI...it just makes sense. Once you get the system working you might even be enlarge the opening in the manifold and go with a bigger throttle body. Didn't Chef Tim or someone stick a EA81 block into a SPFI Loyale? Surely someone has already done this.

The intake fits on the block like it was made to, everything lines up perfectly. I used the SPFI EGR pipe and it fits sweet with no interferance and I have a functional EGR system. The heater pipes needed to be bent a bit to clear the oil filler neck (or something over there) but it was no big deal tweeking the pipes to fit. The biggest headache was a small coolant fitting on the thermostat housing. The fitting is in the way of the disty vac advance (for a EA81 disty.) I cut off the fitting and plugged the hole in the 'stat housing. Then I installed a new barb fitting in a new location. (It's for that coolant line that runs from the stat housing to the center of the block under the intake.) Other than these little items, the SPFI intake fits right onto the EA81 block.