Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

a few rx questions. good idea? bad idea?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kamikaze

Kamikaze

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • "I'll never telllll"

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:16 AM

Here are a few mods I have done and dont know if I am helping or hurting.??

1.plumbed in a intercooler but does not have a hood scoop to get the cold air. awaiting a hood scoop.
2.disconnected the lines running to the boost solenoid and ran a little tiny rubber hose to each port off the turbo instead of running it to the solenoid. Do I need the solenoid?
3. cut off the exhaust right after the down pipe and is running wide open.

the car just seems like it wants to go and it will pull hard for a second and then you poke the throttle and it feel like its not making boost like it should. Oh I also have 87 octane in it.. any input would be really helpfull. thanks Ian

#2 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:33 AM

Run 93 octane, and hook those solinoid lines back up.

and take a look at this thread:
http://www.ultimates...=&threadid=9994

#3 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:34 AM

of course your mileage will go down (as respective towards to heaviness of your foot) but changing octanes is a good way to go. Put in some good 92 octane, and put your timing up a couple degrees. (3 to 4) I'm not sure, but I think the EA82 engines adjust their own timing?

#4 Kamikaze

Kamikaze

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • "I'll never telllll"

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:43 AM

so what is he saying that it is ok to run an open down pipe.? so the boost solenoid should be hooked up. what is the purpose of this little thing.??

#5 bajavwnsoobnut

bajavwnsoobnut

Insane Rally Freak

• Members
  • 3,789 posts
  • Milwaukie

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:57 PM

it is there to keep the waste gate closed till the boost gets too high and then opens up to release the waste gate

#6 Kamikaze

Kamikaze

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • "I'll never telllll"

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:00 PM

ok. so where would I put a MBC if I want to put one in?

#7 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:17 PM

If you use a MBC, ignore the boost solenoids. Just put a piece of line from the compressor housing to the appropriate inlet of the MBC, then to the wastegate.

Yes, it perfectly fine to run an open down pipe. I did it a couple years ago with no problems.

I did make one...and I am getting ALOT of boost creep. See that thread again, i edited some things again. BTW: its 2.5 diameter pipe.

If you drive normaly, on stock boost, but higher octane fuel and as open of an intake and exhaust as possible...your MPGs will go up. But lead foot always decreases that figure.

#8 Kamikaze

Kamikaze

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • "I'll never telllll"

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:17 PM

ok thanks for the input.

#9 WJM

WJM

SUBARU