Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2004 Forester XT- Turbo Failure?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peterrat

Peterrat

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have a 2004 Forester XT with 140,000KM. Recently I heard a grinding noise that sounds like metal on metal and it feels like I am loosing performance. The problem seems to come and go. Can someone tell me what turbo failure sounds like and what the symptoms are? Also how bad will this be to fix and do I have any other options? I'm thinking of dumping the car quickly before it goes on me an I'm stuck with what I assume to be a big turbo bill. What dealer scams should I watch for on this?

#2 TheYeti

TheYeti

Carp in Denim!

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Arvada

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

I have a 2004 Forester XT with 140,000KM. Recently I heard a grinding noise that sounds like metal on metal and it feels like I am loosing performance. The problem seems to come and go. Can someone tell me what turbo failure sounds like and what the symptoms are? Also how bad will this be to fix and do I have any other options? I'm thinking of dumping the car quickly before it goes on me an I'm stuck with what I assume to be a big turbo bill. What dealer scams should I watch for on this?

Without hearing the noises, it is hard to say online. I would suggest you let your local Subaru dealer look at it.

I am "pretty sure" that the turbo for the 04 Forester was the TD04-13t, which is also used in the WRX. Used, they can be found pretty cheap since most WRX people want to upgrade rather quickly.

Install is more time consuming than it is difficult.

#3 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

Turbos smoke when they go bad from leaking seals, noise is usually the wheel hitting the housing.

The forester xt uses the same turbo as the wrx. Lucky for you a good portion of wrx owners upgrade to bigger turbos. You can pick up a low mileage used turbo cheap, the going rate is about $100. Look on www.nasioc.com for one.

#4 SubPar

SubPar

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

It's possible that some material from inside the catalytic convertor on the up pipe was sucked into the turbo. It happens frequently with WRXs, hence the wide availability of catless up pipes.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

turbo replacement is really quite simple, just have it fixed. it's nothing spectacular, difficult or indicating that anything serious is wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users