Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 to EJ25

SubaruJawn

Is it Easy to swap an EJ25 in a 91 legacy ?

i talked to subaruloverbrad about it he said.

In theory (he never tried it):

all i have to do is use EJ22 intake on the EJ25.

and that it should bolt right up.

is it this easy ?

Talked ot SubaruTex

He imagines i'd want to use the ECU as well

I know that Mellow65 did this swap in his Legacy Rally car. I think he used a phase 2 EJ25 in it. I know he had some sort of issue with the cold start switch, but other then that he used the EJ22 wiring harness. I'd ask him though, he'd lead you in the right direction.

Hunh. Thanx Zuki

lets me know the problems he ran into and how to fix them. heck of alot better than what i found in search.

Doesnt sound to bad.

he'll do it again!

After my project and if i have enough money left over i'm gonna do it!

Thanx

More Power.

Head Gasket Failure he said to get newer Gaskets in the topic.

i dont run my vehicle off road. normal winter driving should be fine.

If the only reason you are doing this is for more power, you will be unhappy. I have driven many 2.2 and 2.5 legacys. I have done the 2.5>2.2 swap many times. You don't even notice the difference in power.

If the only reason you are doing this is for more power, you will be unhappy. I have driven many 2.2 and 2.5 legacys. I have done the 2.5>2.2 swap many times. You don't even notice the difference in power.

well i'd like to get alittle more power outtage.

i plan to make my legacy heavier would like a little extra power to match.

what can i do to the EJ22 to get little more power ?

A header listed for a 2.5 will work on a 2.2 dual port.

+1. Also look into actual companies that make aftermarket performance products. Like Greddy, etc. I know some of them are targeted towards the "tuner" market but there a lot of companies that make a lot of good products that will fit your car. But you will also most likely pay a fair amount. But yeah don't install a 2.5 to get more power. They do have more torque but not enough to change your known reliable motor for one that is known for problems. I have headers, cat back, cold air intake, nology hot wires, and lightened crank pulley on my rs and I noticed quite a bit of a difference. So I would imagine that if you threw on a bunch of bolt ons on your car than it would help as well.

+1. Also look into actual companies that make aftermarket performance products. Like Greddy, etc. I know some of them are targeted towards the "tuner" market but there a lot of companies that make a lot of good products that will fit your car. But you will also most likely pay a fair amount. But yeah don't install a 2.5 to get more power. They do have more torque but not enough to change your known reliable motor for one that is known for problems. I have headers, cat back, cold air intake, nology hot wires, and lightened crank pulley on my rs and I noticed quite a bit of a difference. So I would imagine that if you threw on a bunch of bolt ons on your car than it would help as well.

Ok. kool deal

Thanx for the help guys.

i'll jump in here because i seem to be brought up a couple time on my swap. those that say you wont feel the difference in power between a 2.2 and 2.5 are filling you full you BS.

it's freaking amazing the difference between them. when i first did my swap i had all stock motor and a crappy exhaust and even though you knew there was more power it didn't feel as great as i was expecting.

you need to get that 2.5 breathing better, first things first you send your cams up to Delta cam and get the highest regrind they have. second you get your self a much better exhaust then what comes on there factory.

one thing to keep in mind, is most the headers out there are designed for the newer routing of exhaust where it does this crazy turn under the motor VS the older pretty strait out approach. i made my own header out of a stock one, it's ugly as F but it's strong as hell and flows tons better.

i have driven a bunch of subarus, from GLs to STIs, mine is in the legacy turbo range of speed, and any one thinking i'm full of crap i have a passenger seat with your name on it.

and also to the people that think the 2.5s are a POS, yes and no, they just were given crappy parts, with the newer parts you can make them good. no not ej22 indestructible but better then stock. i have been beating the piss out my phase 2 ej25 this last year and am totally happy with it. i do think the phase 2 ej25 is better then the phase 1 but they all just get a bad wrap.

i'll jump in here because i seem to be brought up a couple time on my swap. those that say you wont feel the difference in power between a 2.2 and 2.5 are filling you full you BS.

it's freaking amazing the difference between them. when i first did my swap i had all stock motor and a crappy exhaust and even though you knew there was more power it didn't feel as great as i was expecting.

you need to get that 2.5 breathing better, first things first you send your cams up to Delta cam and get the highest regrind they have. second you get your self a much better exhaust then what comes on there factory.

one thing to keep in mind, is most the headers out there are designed for the newer routing of exhaust where it does this crazy turn under the motor VS the older pretty strait out approach. i made my own header out of a stock one, it's ugly as F but it's strong as hell and flows tons better.

i have driven a bunch of subarus, from GLs to STIs, mine is in the legacy turbo range of speed, and any one thinking i'm full of crap i have a passenger seat with your name on it.

and also to the people that think the 2.5s are a POS, yes and no, they just were given crappy parts, with the newer parts you can make them good. no not ej22 indestructible but better then stock. i have been beating the piss out my phase 2 ej25 this last year and am totally happy with it. i do think the phase 2 ej25 is better then the phase 1 but they all just get a bad wrap.

No afence to the others. i belive the man who did it more.

i'm impressed with your work mellow. what years should i look into?

i wont be beating the piss out of it. normal winter driving is the plan

I agree with getting the 2.5 to breath better. Mine with all upgrades will almost keep up with a stock WRX...almost.:lol: But yes if you put a 2.5 swap and then do upgrades to it then it will be a lot better than your 2.2 but leave it stock and there's not as much difference.

well. the cams thing sounds like it gonna cost alot of money and alot of work. so i might not. i'm not sure yet. depends on the left over funds

No afence to the others. i belive the man who did it more.

i'm impressed with your work mellow. what years should i look into?

i wont be beating the piss out of it. normal winter driving is the plan

99 and newer forester and impreza 2.5rs had the phase 2 ej25 and 00 and newer legacys did. mine was from a 99 forester. things to keep in mind that i learned after the fact and i can't edit my post on the USRM, i guess all ej25 cam pullys and crank pullys are not all the same in the amount of teeth that the sensors read. mine is from a 99 so at least in the first years they shared the same number of teeth as the older legacy. but i have heard of some of the newer ones having more or less or in different places not sure, but being different regardless and not running is the end result.

contact delta cam, they are a vendor on here, talk to them about their regrinds. What they does is regrinds, not new ones so it's way cheaper. I'm not going to share what my sponsored price was, but even his normal price is good for what he does and he has a really quick turn around. i mailed them to him monday i had them back friday. and sometimes they have specials in the vendor section.

for a normal street car i would maybe do the lower of the two regrinds, i know i said the highest but that was on the rally car and i wanted as much as i could. most of my power comes on in the upper RPMs but they have a grind that will improve an all over RPMs.

you just have to know that ej25s need to breath. I have my header with a 2.25 output and a 2.5 all the way back. I think the 2.5 would be a little much for a street car, but it's what i had and i used it and i like it on my rally car. I think 2.25 would make you happy.

also a phase 2 ej25 in a old legacy will not give you a working idle air control, the thing that bumps your idle up when you start your car cold or you turn on your ac. it's not bad to deal with, it might be a little bit of a pain in a street car. you just need to plan more time in the morning to let your car warm up before you drive away. once warm, it's not an issue. i have seen guys deal with this in different ways, some look a little odd but they do work. for me cold starts were the least of my worries.

if you have any questions feel free to ask. i have now 3 rallys with this motor and am super happy, i would never go back to the 2.2 because of the power alone.

also your gas mileage jumps, even with my cams just normal everyday driving around i was getting upper 20s way more then any of my other legacys.

good luck