Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legecy, 235 000 km, Auto, binding on slow turns also like a rattle on take off and turns, clunking from drive to park, when switch off engine slight roll even with hand break up then next time i turn on engine PWR light flashes about 16 or so times. Had oil flushed was ok for a couple of weeks then same thing. One guy told me need to reco trans another says he can get some good oil and it will stop another says he will change my solenoids, im not good with cars its doing my head in :confused:

PLEASE give me advise, Thanks

No needs to go to a dealership to get the codes, there is a process here (why pay the money). If you do go dont tell them to just pull the codes, Tell them your symptons and let them make a diagnoses (sometimes for that they wont charge).

Or you can go by what i have to say.

You have torque bind. You have all the classic symptons. No oil elixer is going to fix it. The flashing tranny light is going to come back as a failed duty C solenoid.

Depending upon how long its been doing this, it wont pay to just replcae the solenoid, instead rebuild the entire system (but then again i am always amazed at how expensive things are in canada). You have less then 200,000 miles on the car, so a repair is doable, Over 200,000 or 800.00 US in repairs i would say look for a used a tranny.

DO NOT go to a tranny shop unless you want a new tranny.

nipper

put the FWD fuse in the FWD holder in the engine bay and let us know if it goes away.

replacing the duty C and/or clutches in the rear extension housing can be done without even taking the trans out of the car, so it's much cheaper than typical trans work or a rebuild.

has the fluid ever been changed and do all the tires match?

put the FWD fuse in the FWD holder in the engine bay and let us know if it goes away.

replacing the duty C and/or clutches in the rear extension housing can be done without even taking the trans out of the car, so it's much cheaper than typical trans work or a rebuild.

has the fluid ever been changed and do all the tires match?

he said the tranny was flushed.

silly person ....

nipper

he said the tranny was flushed.

silly person ....

nipper

I recall seeing that if a trans has been maintained a flush is safe, but if its the 1st maintenance a trans sees ever, that's when a flush is deadly.

Is that the conventional wisdom on these critters?

Bought mine with 55K, had all the dealer service records (incl. trans service records), had the trans flushed at the dealer at about 60-65K, I'm up at +85k at the moment.

Dave

That is an old wives tail that drove old cars.

transmissions have much better materials in them since the early 1990's. Blu got his first flush at 181,000 miles and survived. Lots of roos get thier first flushes (or at least first one in a very long time) with high mileage.

If you look at all the boards in general, its rare to see a tranny failure on a high mileage car these days. It does happen as things do wear out, but not like it used to be, where a tranny was expected after 120,000 miles. Now they last the life of the car.

Now if this was 1980-1990 i would have to research car by car, and pre 1980 would just recomend a drain and fill.

nipper

whats recommended on the SVX before tranny fail.

That is an old wives tail that drove old cars.

transmissions have much better materials in them since the early 1990's. Blu got his first flush at 181,000 miles and survived. Lots of roos get thier first flushes (or at least first one in a very long time) with high mileage.

If you look at all the boards in general, its rare to see a tranny failure on a high mileage car these days. It does happen as things do wear out, but not like it used to be, where a tranny was expected after 120,000 miles. Now they last the life of the car.

Now if this was 1980-1990 i would have to research car by car, and pre 1980 would just recomend a drain and fill.

nipper

SVX have an acknowleged problem that has nothintg to do with the transmission fluid (and yet to see one make it that far anyway that was stock, I am sure there is always one).

The material on the Torque Converter lockup clutch sheds. It gets into the cooler lines and causes the transmssion to over heat. Thats one of the issues. Another is passages that are too small.

nipper

I went back to the mechanic that flushed my oil and had also changed my driveshafts (didn't mention that before) he told me solenoid. He said he had a good second hand one and will put it in (he recons he changed 3 solenoids) i have now been back twice and my car is still doing the same thing. He said the rattling noise i get coming from the back is my cv. I had paid him $400 AUD now i am going to someone else to scan my car because i feel ripped off and to see if he did anything at all.(im in Australia so my car has done 230 000 kilometers not miles)

Edited by mks64

NEVER put a used part anywhere that is buried. For the amount of time and energy wasted, its not worth it.

Has anyone looked at your tranny mount, or honestly looked at the AWD system itself. Can be that your housing is bad, clutches are bad.

Take it to a delaer if you can, and at least get an opinion from them. There is more to the AWD system then just the solenoid.

Good luck.

nipper