Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3.0 VDC Reliability

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fuzz1

fuzz1

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • CDN

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:45 PM

Hello, I'm new to your forum. We have a 1993 Nissan Quest M-van that we use to tow our small Airstream trailer. It has over 200,000 miles on the 150HP 3.0 engine and we have had no problems with the drive train. Just regular tuneups etc. I really like the VDC Outback wagon with the V6. Can I get your opinions on whether you think I could get good reliability out of the V6 wagon as a casual tow vehicle and daily driver? I know Sabarus's have a good reputation but so far know little about them. Thnxs

#2 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

First, its an H6. Flat 6/horizontally opposed 6....

anyhow, that engien is supposed to be one of the most reliable engiens subaru ever built, next to the 2.2L engine. it runs a timing chain, which seems to last forever in toyota engines. (22R)

Im sure someone more qualified to answer your question will reply soon....

#3 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 12 January 2004 - 12:51 PM

Subaru has done H6's before (SVX, XT), but the 3.0L H6 in the Outbacks is a new design that came out in 2001. It doesn't have a lot of history yet. And I don't think there are too many out there, since they have only been available on the highest priced cars.

Having said that, I haven't heard of any problems to date myself. You might call CCR Engines to see if they know anything. I do recall Emily making a comment (quite some time ago) that there was speculation that this engine might be a "leaker" over the long term since Subaru dispensed with gaskets in several areas and went with sealants instead. Bear in mind, that's simply speculation.

The car and the engine would be fine I feel for application. You might want to add a transmission cooler. I just can't really comment on long term reliability. (Then again, who really can? ;) )

Commuter

#4 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:13 PM

On the svx board www.subaru-svx.net a person asked about this, there were a couple people on the board with over 100,000 miles with no probloems withthe neigne if i rember right, it was a while back. Still most do not have over 100,000 miles and even the bad subaru engines can manage that, but most people seem to think that it is a strong relible engine. I thought subaru was puting varible timing on and it bosted the power to like 250 or something for the newer modles, 05.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users