Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I'm new to your forum. We have a 1993 Nissan Quest M-van that we use to tow our small Airstream trailer. It has over 200,000 miles on the 150HP 3.0 engine and we have had no problems with the drive train. Just regular tuneups etc. I really like the VDC Outback wagon with the V6. Can I get your opinions on whether you think I could get good reliability out of the V6 wagon as a casual tow vehicle and daily driver? I know Sabarus's have a good reputation but so far know little about them. Thnxs

First, its an H6. Flat 6/horizontally opposed 6....

anyhow, that engien is supposed to be one of the most reliable engiens subaru ever built, next to the 2.2L engine. it runs a timing chain, which seems to last forever in toyota engines. (22R)

Im sure someone more qualified to answer your question will reply soon....

Subaru has done H6's before (SVX, XT), but the 3.0L H6 in the Outbacks is a new design that came out in 2001. It doesn't have a lot of history yet. And I don't think there are too many out there, since they have only been available on the highest priced cars.

Having said that, I haven't heard of any problems to date myself. You might call CCR Engines to see if they know anything. I do recall Emily making a comment (quite some time ago) that there was speculation that this engine might be a "leaker" over the long term since Subaru dispensed with gaskets in several areas and went with sealants instead. Bear in mind, that's simply speculation.

The car and the engine would be fine I feel for application. You might want to add a transmission cooler. I just can't really comment on long term reliability. (Then again, who really can? ;) )

Commuter

On the svx board http://www.subaru-svx.net a person asked about this, there were a couple people on the board with over 100,000 miles with no probloems withthe neigne if i rember right, it was a while back. Still most do not have over 100,000 miles and even the bad subaru engines can manage that, but most people seem to think that it is a strong relible engine. I thought subaru was puting varible timing on and it bosted the power to like 250 or something for the newer modles, 05.