Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been suckered....maybe a bit winded

I bought Ian's (outdoorrock's) XT6 Friday(91 XT6 5sp AWD). On the way home the rear suspension decided to take a dump. I've never owned anything other than an EA81 besides the G-friends 96 Imprezza and have zero knowledge of the air suspension. I did some research before I decided to buy and knew there was a tendancy for the air suspension to fail but I at least thought I would make it home. Anyway, I was not expecting perfection by any stretch but I didn't pay for a car with a shot suspension. I tried to talk to Ian to figure out a soulution but I fear I am stuck holding the perverbial pecker in my hands. So now I have a $1500 brick in the driveway and a feeling that trusting people is a bad thing. I usually take people for their word and let time sort things out. I'm not a tool by any means and have had quite a colored life but, I feel more and more disappointed by my experiences with people in general. I'm sorry if this is a rant and should probably be in the off topic forum but I guess what I would like to know is ....does anyone,could anyone give me some insight into where to even start? I searched old posts everywhere from here to xt6.org and the Yahoo xt site. Everyone says to swap to coil over's but I think that's a bit of a cop out(no offense) especially since I bought this car to be my daily no hassle driver for the winter since I don't have a garage and wrenching in 5 degree weather is kind of a turn off. Anyway, I 'm sorry if this is too long or retarded but I needed to say something before I internally combusted.

On a good note....Eagles are on their way to Houston. Bret who?

Thanks for listening to a (fill in the blank)

Used struts are really a crap shoot and new ones tend to be really expensive.

If you have a good running XT6 for under $2000 you have done REALLY well.

Search for Fix A Flat posts too. People have bought a little time putting fix a flat into the airbags in the struts.

Thanks for the responses but, it's about 5 degrees here and I have no garage or desire to switch over to coil overs just yet. A lot off stuff that came up with the switch said how the handling went to crap after the switch as well. If someone could point me in the right direction for troubleshooting the air system that would be great. Thanks again for the reply's.

-Michael

i thought that napa sold rear GL air shocks for significantly less than front GL air shocks; do they do the same with XT6 rear air shocks?

you might also talk to moosens as he's recently found a nice source for NOS subaru parts. they might be too old for the XT6 years though.

you could always swap to coilovers and someday swap back to the air suspension, too.

To be fair, it's possible he thought the car was running great, and had no idea the suspension was in any way bad. He had know way of knowing... and it would suck to sell someone a car and then an hour later have them call you and ask for the money back because they broke it (I'm in no way accusing you of being at fault for the damage, but trying to throw light on his perspective).

On the other hand, I know your pain. When I bought my '90 T-Bird Supercoupe, the crank sensor went out on the drive home. The car completely died. It was a small fix, but a huge PITA to get to.

Luckily i called the guy and he was kind enough to tow it home and have his mechanic fix the problem. I really lucked out, but he would have been within his rights to say "sorry, the car is yours now, deal with it" and left.

Syphon,

That's just it, I didn't want a big to do just some cooperation would've been nice. I didn't scream refund when this happened. I understand I'm buying a used car but I was under the impression that it would at least make it home. Am I an rump roast for thinking that? The fact that he won't return my calls or emails is a little unsettling. I like to think golden rule in these situations but if I can't get a call returned I can't help but think the worst. I want to work things out but that takes 2. Anyway, mark the board ....I'm a jackass.

Sorry,I can't help you.

bacaruda-I know you're trying to help but I'd really like for folks with the older cars to check that post thoroughly and see what gets posted when I finally dig through and post.It's not the kind of thing where I can take orders.I really didn't see any XT6 parts offhand when I was there.

"tailgatewagon" did infact have a post going about just such activity,getting parts cheaper than anyone else and dealer stock at that.Check with him,maybe he can get replacement air suspension so cheap that it'd be worth it.You never know.

Kecks,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't know much about the system (yet). I've never had a problem with mine, but when the weather got down below 20F my air didn't want to rise and the warning light would flash. As of late so far so good she's been doing what she should. Maybe yours isn't shot (hopefully). Ifn you are in doubt though over @ the xt6 site Tapper is going to be parting his 6 w/ working air suspension.

Good luck.

Melis

ya might start with the air lines at the compressor.. don't remember where they are at tho..

i feel you pain as well with bum deals.. but yours is better off than mine was.. i had to do an engine swap on what was supposedly a new shortblock.. but it had a consealed rod knock.. at any rate, it coulda been worse..

if its temperature related, ya might find a warm garage somewhere and park it for a few hours then see if it'll air up.. worth a shot anyways..

Hey man, sorry to hear the news. I feel your pain, I know there is no pointing fingers on your part and so I would feel the same if you just needed to talk to him and he didn't return any phonecalls etc. (There COULD POSSIBLY be a reason why that we don't know yet) Anyway, Don't know nuthin about the system. Give it a good once over from start to finish, If you end up replacing instead of repairing then you are gonna be workin in the cold anyway, right? Like it was stated earlier, You never know if it will happen to you again so save a headache and a lot of cursewords and put coil overs on. It will probably quicker and easier and definately more trouble free. If you need your ten bucks towards purchasing parts let me know. I will have it on the 23rd when I get paid (Started a new job, still trying to catch up)

There are a couple sensors that control height. I have had them not want to go to high settings before(GL-10 sedan). Try jacking on side then the other with a floor jack and see if it will self inflate. Do you hear the compressor working or is the light on with no noise from the compressor?

Sorry about feeling taken. But... a used car is just that. It can last for years or minutes. Unfortunately there really is no right answer or solution to this type of thing. Good luck and let me know about the above info.

first off...do your power door locks work?

if they dont, check the fuse - the air suspension is fused with the door locks circuit for some strange reason.

2nd, air suspension would be nice but, coming from a person who battled this situation twice - its more of an economical decision to swap.

parts could be had cheaply and they dont necessarily have to be XT6 parts. shoot me an email if this is the route you want to take - ill give you my XT6 swap formula that ive used. the car will look great and handle just as well.

One thing to consider when doing business on the board is the sellers prominence or regularity on the board. I have done business with quite a few people on the board and had some very satisfying experiences. The two people I have gotten the most stuff from are probably Qman and XSNRG(both have saved my butt at least once). My point being that when dealing with someone who is more of a regular on the board, your chances of getting taken decrease substantially. In fact, they are often very helpful when problems arise( like Mark making an extra 50-60 mile round trip to my house to bring me an intake manifold :) ).

Someone that has a post count of 10 and whose presence on the board is limited to selling his car.. Well you are taking a risk equal or greater than buying from Auto Trader.

I know this doesn't help much now, but perhaps it will help you or someone else in the future. Maybe its time to revive the list of good business people on the board..

One last note. I saw above that Electryc Monk PM'd you with some info on the Air suspension. He has 2 GL-10s with air suspension, and I believe his XT6 has it as well.. He really does know his stuff when it comes to air suspension...Timing on the other hand...(sorry steve.. had to throw that in there;) )

Good Luck, I hope he calls you back and straightens this out.

Originally posted by calebz

...(big snip)....

One last note. I saw above that Electryc Monk PM'd you with some info on the Air suspension. He has 2 GL-10s with air suspension, and I believe his XT6 has it as well.. He really does know his stuff when it comes to air suspension...Timing on the other hand...(sorry steve.. had to throw that in there;) )

Good Luck, I hope he calls you back and straightens this out.

(lowers head in humble thanks then starts laughing w/ coughs) "I am human after all even if a bit sick still... LOL Hey it's all good Caleb at least the cam belts were obviously correct, Beth even chidded me in a luaghing way lastnight about that too.

Well I'm hitting the road this afternoon for Michigan.....

EDT is about 3-4PM here......

next login will mostlikely be from Beaverton, Michigan in just under /over 24 hours. Depending on my nap(?)time in or around St. Louis.

Have not read all relies here, but here's my quick 2 pennies.

Try and get it back up on air. Mine has been there since I bought it >3 years ago. Put in 2 used front struts. One from Mike in CO for hundred bux, second from NY for $125. If putting in used, ask about visible cracks in the bag. I'd avoid such unless really cheap. I recd one used one from Hal. It had weather cracks in bag. They were OK on my wanting to return. At the time, they didn't have another avail, so they refunded me and I found next one in NY.

May or may not be your rear struts, could be compressor. I revieve one in my car till I loaned it to my boy for his XT. Then found a couple used ones for reasonable.

I have some troubleshooting/repair files. I'll get to you soon. PM me an email addy so I can send. (Think they are less than 1mb total. Someone here sent them to me.) Also have some text files I put together. I, for one, am glad I did not do a conversion. I think my air ride will outlast the car. (If I can help it anyway.) I hear all sorts of comments like jacked up like monkey h*&^% a foot ball and such after some conversion attempts. Last summer I saw one XT-6, probably a conversion, that appeared as it it would tip over frontward if the guy hit the brakes.