Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Radiator Fitment in Leone - Your suggestions please

hey all

after some help.

i have fitted a legacy radiator to my leone, which will hopefully help with the temp problems I have occasionally in stages (esp. the tighter ones). now, what I don't know how to do, is to plumb in the header tank, as the radiator has no cap to fill it. has any one done this, and if so, can you explain, prefer with pics, but words will do.

as far as I can see, on a std legact turbo, it flows back into the water/aire intercooler, and then through the system, so with the leone, I was thinking of running it backing to the heater inlet, and plugging off the heater outlet hose that goes to the heater...does that make sense?

all suggestions welcome...and required.

Sounds like you got a turbo legacy/liberty radiator. Those radiators had a separate coolant expansion tank that was mounted up behind the manifold. This was the highest point of the cooling system, and it also helped with cooling of the turbo. As coolant surrounding the turbo heated, it would rise to the top where that tank is, and cooler coolant would fill it's place....basically creating convection currents to help cool the turbo off after shutdown, which keeps the oil from caking up or burning off the bearings.

You really should have something similar, or at least have a coolant expansion tank some place. Check out http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org I'm sure someone can give you some more info. Also, more in your neck of the woods. http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/