Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine knock

85 GL Hatchback 1.8 OHV

142,000 miles

just started making a loud knock thats coming form the drivers side head

it was only making the knock upon start up and the first 10-20 min of driving

but now its constant???

my friend said maybe needs valve adjustment???

does any one know if this EA81 engine has hydraulic lifters???

Take a rag with a light dash of degreaser and clean the grease off the side of the valve cover. Look for a sticker that says, "Valves need no adjustment" or something to that effect. They put the stickers on the newer engine which I thought came out in 85?..... but not sure....

as for the knocking it does sound like Hydraulic lifter kind of thing.

If you suspect Hydraulic lifters making noise, use some Sea-Foam through the engine to help un-stick the lifter if that is what you have.

If it still knocks I would remove valve cover and take a peek and check for any sign's as to why it is knocking.. This is a simple thing to do before something really brakes. Call local parts place for gasket. If cork, cover in Grey High Temp RTV, let dry and install. .02 cents

Edited by Indrid cold

i don't believe you have adjustable valves, they are HLA's.

i would go with frequent oil changes for now and possibly some "treatments" like sea foam (excellent stuff) or marvel mystery oil.

whatever you do, keep changing your oil regularly and often. the HLA's don't do well with dirty oil.

Try the sea-foam, some right in the oil and carb, run it till it stops knocking... shouldn't take long. I think the can says to run for a day/couple day's in engine oil then change oil. If that doesn't do it I would pull the cover and take a look to see if something has come undone.

They are bullet proof engines. Anything 280,000+ is getting old.

Edited by Indrid cold