Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Block heater/tank heater/radiator hose heater?

opus

I personally prefer the In Line heaters with pumps. They circulate the warmed antifreeze thru the entire engine, and because of the radiational affect, it also warms the oil. And because of the coolant bypass system that all cars have, the coolant thru the whole engine, radiator, heater core, will be warmed to about 90 degrees. It also means less snow clearing in the hood area.

Its also the easiest to install. Can be done, with a cold engine, in about 20 minutes.

I personally prefer the In Line heaters with pumps. They circulate the warmed antifreeze thru the entire engine, and because of the radiational affect, it also warms the oil. And because of the coolant bypass system that all cars have, the coolant thru the whole engine, radiator, heater core, will be warmed to about 90 degrees. It also means less snow clearing in the hood area.

Its also the easiest to install. Can be done, with a cold engine, in about 20 minutes.

What particular model heater and where do you end up putting it, under the spare, in the heater hose?

I beleive this is the style, althou I dont remember exactly. Was 3 years ago that I installed it. I would have to contact the seller to see if this is the pump style, althou it looks like it is. But I am not sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Engine-Block-Heater-Tank-Type-1500W-Cold-Start-Warmer_W0QQitemZ250339166614QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Yes it does go into the heater core lines. I do not like the ones that go into the main radiator hoses. Silt, and other things can form on the heater elements over time, and drasticly reduce the coolant flow. In the heater core lines, you will notice a slight diference in the amount of heat that comes out of the vents as the silt builds, but will not affect how the engine is cooled.

If memory serves me right, we bought 5 feet of heater core hose from a parts store, and took the old one out completely. Mounted the pump/warmer in front of the strut tower with a strap. Then used the new heater core hose to connect it all together.

This was on a 94 legacy, so there was no spare tire under the hood. Althou I imagine it could easily be mounted under the spare tire, using the spare tire carrier shelf as a mounting point.

it's not a freeze plug!!!!!

for ea71 and ea81 the plug is on the front of the block to the left of the crankshaft

for ea82 the plug is on the bottom of the block below the oil fill tube

use a 14mm bit to remove

the plug is 36mm thread

BTDT on ea71 ea81 ea82

Ahhh....ok, I shall take a peek.

If one from an EJ 25 block will fit, then I have one with the wires you will need to plug it in. Installation is really simple.

Make me an offer and I can pull it from my spare engine and send it to you . You will save a bunch over buying new. I can even submerge it in a bucket of water and make sure it is fully functional.

Mike

I just picked up a 1000 Watt 'Kat's' recirculating coolant heater from Schuck's for $30. It looks to be a pain, it has to be mounted low, bled thoroughly and preferably tied into the block drain and fed back to the water pump inlet.

It comes with clamps, some fittings, and a mounting bracket. It's 110v for cold nights.

Maker "Five Star MFG. Co. 'Kat's Heaters'" part number 12100

I'm in the same boat, it's -2 F outside, and I need it badly, but really really don't want to deal with installing it in the snow.

Oh, I'm a newbie to the bbs, hello to everybody.

Edited by Txakura

for ea71 and ea81 the plug is on the front of the block to the left of the crankshaft

use a 14mm bit to remove

the plug is 36mm thread

BTDT on ea71 ea81 ea82

thanks subiemechanic85

so for an EA81 i just have to find a block heater with 36mm thread

YEAH:lol:now Hero can wake up :)

• 2 years later...

use a 14mm bit to remove

the plug is 36mm thread

BTDT on ea71 ea81 ea82

I'm sorry to resurrect a 2 year old thread! But I need some clarification. The mounting port is 36mm threaded? I can't find any threaded engine block heaters for my 1994 Subaru Loyale, just this that supposedly fits: Kats 11405, however that is the rubber gasket style. Thanks for any feedback, I need to get this guy warm before my daily 5:00 am drives.

Also, I found this PDF that shows where to mount the heater. Is this correct?

Edited by elBradford