Jump to content

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Attn: Washington Resident. Q about lost titles

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 richierich



  • Moderator
  • 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:02 AM

I know this is an off topic but I am trying to remember how I go about getting a lost title out of Washington.

The story goes like this: I contacted the lady with the 90 Legacy LS with the bad front crank pulley. I went up and bought it. When she went to get the title. She could not find it. She has been looking without success for the title. Tags expired 12/03, so the car is worthless until I get the title.

Ok. I know she can get a new title, takes up to 8 weeks.

I bought a different vehicle in Washingtion a few weeks ago and I hadt to I go in with the seller, and gotten the title directly transfered over to me at the local Washington motor vehicle station.

When I got my RX from Corky, I received a piece of paper (proof of ownership) and a bill of sale. And then took this paper work and got a Washington title. That is the way I got my title for my RX.

What is that piece of paper called and where can the seller get it. Does Washington carry a Bill of Sale?

Any other ideas?

#2 edrach


    RIP 6/28/14

  • Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:13 AM

Richie, It is called a Certificate in Lieu of Title. The lady in question can go to any D.O.L. office, tell them she lost the title and give them the tag # of the car as well as identification. They will check the computer and verify that the title is in her name and issue the Certificate to her which she can sign and turn over to you. You can then take that certificate to an Oregon motor vehicle agency and transfer the WA title to yourself or anyone else that you sell the car to. No need to wait for the actual title to be mailed from Olympia. Last time I did this, it cost $8.50 and is done on the spot at the D.O.L. office.

Re-reading your post it sounds like you already transferred the title and I'm not sure the above will work now that it's in your name. Although you might go to Vancouver and get a Certificate in Lieu of Title if the title is now in your name. That should be an immediately transferable title so you can sell the car without waiting for the 8 weeks.

#3 richierich



  • Moderator
  • 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:21 PM

I changed my post to make more sense. I had purchased a DIFFERENT CAR and had the title directly transferred to me. They can not do this in this case since I am not in Seattle to sign for this.

Thanks Ed, for ALL your help.

#4 Cougar


    Elite Master of the Subaru

  • Members
  • 6,563 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 12 January 2004 - 04:25 PM


I ran into a similar problem with a vehicle I purchased off of Ebay. The person I purchased the car from tried to sign over the title to me when the car wasn't registered in his own name. He kept it for a year and never bothered to register it. The solution to my problem was to purchase a bond from a insurance company. I only had a copy of the title as I sent the original back to the seller to try and straighten it out but never got it back. I also had to provide a certified value of the car to the DMV.

Not sure if this will help you or not.

PS. I still have those nice rims you sold to me. Best regards.

#5 Russ Hill

Russ Hill

    Jesus Freak

  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:43 AM

I've been through this many times....
The seller needs to get "certificate of lost title" Then you and the seller go to a Notary, show I.D., get it all signed off and notarized, Back to the D.O.L. and transfer it over!:D

#6 Wrench Princess

Wrench Princess

    USMB Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Shoreline

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:41 PM

I think that having the lady go in and get an Affidavit of Lost Title is the wrong way to go because you will still have to wait for the DOL to send her a new title. I suggest doing what Ed suggested just to save yourself time and headaches. I'm not really sure how the Relese of Interest thing works so I can't suggest that, I think that it's about the same as the Certificate in Lieu of Title thing though.

#7 one eye

one eye

    I'm A Subaholic

  • Members
  • 2,593 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:54 PM

I'm doing the same thing right now, i got a '80 brat w/ no titile, the way you can go about this is , take and send the lady a writen out deal asking her to release intrest on the car , you have to send it certified mail (signiture required). If the letter comes back and you send it 3 times you can take it to the DOL and they will have the state patrol inspect it for foul play. If all is good then you can get a 3 year title. If she just signs it over to you you should be golden. but this is kinda a time consuming deal. good luck on it, titles suck.


#8 Turbone


    The Original Rob

  • Moderator
  • 12,203 posts
  • WA

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:09 PM

I think a Release of Interest is whats needed. She has to have it Notorized and then can mail it to Richie. I went thru this with CalebZ, and he's in Texas. I also think Ed's idea is correct too.

#9 richierich



  • Moderator
  • 3,760 posts
  • Portland

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:45 PM

She went in and told DOL, that she wanted to get a in Lieu of Title and then I would take it to Oregon DMV and get a title. They told her that would not work. So she went and applied for a new title in her name. So I guess it is a mute point.

I remember with the RX, I tried to take the in Lieu of Title into Oregon DMV, and they said it was not a reconcized Title and I would have to get a Washington title, and then transfer it. So that is what I did.

When I sell the vehicle, I will give them the title, and a Emission slip from Oregon or Washington, depending on where they live.

ONE MORE QUESTION. Can you get a trip permit in Washington on a vehicle that you don't own???

#10 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

    Elite Master of the Subaru

  • Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:00 PM

I don't remember telling them which vehicle I was using the trip permit for that last time I got one.

#11 calebz


    Andys Coupe killed my cat

  • Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

You can get a trip permit in WA for anything.. you just give them $25 and they give you a blank 3 day trip permit. You fill it out and stick in the back window of the car.

On a side note.. In TX, a $25 trip permit is good for 30 days.:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users