Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vehicle painting vs. weather seasons

ettev

Have the Brat ready for paint. I live in Pennsylvania and for those of you not in our part of the country its been incredibly cold as of late. Long range projections show no significant relief either.

While I know that the car will be in a heated garage for some period of time before, during and after prep and painting I can't help but think its better to hold off until warmer days are the norm. Any thoughts on painting vehicles in extreme cold?

I probably wouldn't.... I've done it in 20F temps, using quick drying rattle can paint, with good success, but that was also in somewhere around 20% humidity in CO -- at the winter humidity levels in PA, probably wouldn't dry so well. And if you're using REAL car paint....

That's my opinion

If you bought the paint local the paint shop will sell you the right reducer for your weather conditions you will have to let them know the temp of the garage and humidity levels you will be painting in , one good thing about painting now no bugs in the paint..............lol

Jeff

The Problem is not really at the Temps, `cos with Lower Temps you`ll need to leave the Car Untouched for Long Time untill the Paint cures well all over... the real Problem is the Humidity factor that can damage a well done Paint job.

Two things you can Do:

• Wait untill you have Warmer Temps, or...
  • Make a Paint "Oven" for the car to be Painted.

How? move the car to be Painted to a Close Garage, Big enough to Paint without Painting the Walls or anything else there... Then, Place many Powerfull Lights (110V x 150W) Reflectors to cover almost all the Car`s Area to be Painted. Remove all the Plastics -they can Melt- as long as you can.

Those Lights shall Warm up the Closed Garage... but you`ll need fresh air to Breathe... to Paint in a Closed and bad vented area can be very Dangerous!, but I have done it when I had no Choice...

Close all the Windows, Turn the Lights on for a While untill they Warm up the Closed Garage, Wear your Safety Equipment. Start Painting with all the Lights on... it is Better if you could cover it Completely at one Time with one Coat, then go out to Breathe and Rest... (But if you Couldn`t do That, just Paint one Part and go Breath fresh air Outside, then go back inside again to do other Part and so on) ...give to the Paint enough Time to Cure... I Suggest the Whole Night -with Lights on- for Better Results, Then next day use Fine Sandpaper, after that Clean it very well... Then Cover it with the Second Coat, and give it the Whole Night under the Lights again...

Your Paint will be "Cooked" with the Lights` Warmt, but if the Weather is very Humid & Cool, you can leave the car untouched more time, to let it Cure the Paint Completely. Then you can Polish it.

I`ve Painted some cars, including both my Subies; and I`ve Painted some in that Homemade "Oven"

Good Luck! :burnout: