Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So many fuel lines. Why?

I have an 89 EA81 Hatch and I want to relocate the fuel pump from where someone cobbed it in a bad place where the factory one used to be to close to where the filter is so it is out of the way and easy to get to later. And I want to install a glass fuel filter to see easier the dirt. The problem is there are for the filter two lines coming from the firewall one under the spare tire and one by the break booster which one of these is the supply and what is the other one? One goes to the bottom of the filter and the other goes to a 3 way splitter with one going to the top of the filter and the other going to the carb. There is one last line going from the other side of the bottom of the filter to the carb. Why is there 2 lines to the carb and 2 coming from the firewall. Has anyone else done this before? What is the best thing for me to do other than leave it alone. I really need to relocate the pump because of where they mounted it. First trail I hit it's going to pop right off. lol. Thanks, John

you are referring to the vapor separator under the hood wix 33201 the wix is crystal clear :banana:http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=33201

top line from carb vapor return

one line from "tank" supply in

one line to "carb" out

the fuel pump mounted by the rear crossmember is not an issue, fairly protected

there should be a filter before the pump

I like to install a clear filter about 1' before the carb, current one happens to be mr. gasket 9747 http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?MajID=220&MinID=2204&productID=327&txtSearch=9747

it has saved me atleast once, due to cruddy tank, remove and shake to clean :banana:

And glass filters really arent needed anymore. Fuel is extreemly clean these days. Just replace a standard filter once a year.

The fuel might be... but there's lots of rusty fuel tanks on old cars :rolleyes: Lots of the inline filters are semi-translucent plastic that gets you the ability to see in there, without being glass.

I wonder, are the glass carbureators out too? My truck has a 3" square glass window on the side to see the fuel level inside.

Z

The fuel might be... but there's lots of rusty fuel tanks on old cars :rolleyes: Lots of the inline filters are semi-translucent plastic that gets you the ability to see in there, without being glass.

I wonder, are the glass carbureators out too? My truck has a 3" square glass window on the side to see the fuel level inside.

Z

i never heard ot the glass requirement before. I know in NYS its not anywhere in the inspection manual. If your carb came with it or had a glass filter from the factory it would be OK

nipper