Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

94 Legacy--wiring diagram?? Heater blower INOP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 legacy93ATL

legacy93ATL

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Is there a color-coded wiring diagram for an early Legacy available online?

girlfriend has a 94 Legacy wagon whose HEATER BLOWER has not worked since the engine was replaced 2 years ago.

fuses are good--my next step is to try hot-wiring to test blower motor and then replacing the RELAY.

however there are some wires that are NOT HOOKED UP--by the drivers right knee. if I could figure out what color the wires need to be then maybe I can give it some power.

TIA.

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

The wires to motor may be blk/red and blk/yel. The relay is a bigger suspect than the motor.

#3 ericem

ericem

First Gen Legacy Master

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • CANADA Maple,ON

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:51 AM

I would not see the blower motor failing at such a age uncommon. I suggest you unplug the motor and see if you get any voltage at the plug.

#4 2.5GL

2.5GL

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Sherwood, OR

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:39 AM

Whack, er, gently tap the base of the motor (with something hard) with it turned on, see if it starts up. If it does, you just need a motor. If it does not work on all speeds, you'll need the resistor block as well... 4 wires, white plug, on the front of the heater box behind glove box. It is metal, about 1.5 x 2.5 inches held in place with two phillips screws. I would suspect a relay if whacking it does not work, just remember to check for power at the fan before digging too deep, maybe even leaving a tester on the wires to see if it comes on while digging, you may have a short... however unlikely.

Lewis

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,259 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

I ussually suspect relays way before motors. The blower motor is super easy to access the plug for testing. If you get voltage to the fan,relay is fine. If not, the relay can be accessed by removing the lower dash panel below the column. Then you can reach straight through the opening at the left side, behind the "tray". The Blower relay has a whitish/clearish connector and is on of the standard round type relay Subaru uses for everything.

However just yesterday I had to repalce a blower motor. It can happen.

Removing the blower is a bit harder. I had to unscrew the hinges for the glovebox and remove glovebox. I also had to loosen the lower corner, passenger side dash bolt(behind cover, far right lower of dash) just enough to make it flex a hair to get the blower to clear. All in all fairly easy.

tools required:

Multimeter or test light

Phillips screwdriver.

Ratchet and a 8mm and 10mm sockets.

#6 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

If you prove it to be the relay
here is what you are looking for
Posted Image

#7 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

relay is up over the fuse block on the drivers side kick pannel.

if you are getting power to the blower motor then its the motor, i sell the hell out of the motors, most common thing to die.

Edited by The Scooby, 31 December 2008 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users