Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 legacy (H4 2.2L) cranking but not starting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dlove

dlove

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

I live in Duluth, MN. We've had brutally cold weather on and off for the last month or so. I was experiencing hard starts on some of the coldest mornings and eventually, this week, it wouldn't start. My dash and interior lights were functional and it cranked but didn't start. I hooked up jumper cables and let it juice up for about 20 minutes. It started and I drove it for 30 minutes. When I turned it off and attempted to restart it, it cranked but didn't start.

I replaced the battery and cleaned the terminals.

Same result. It would crank, but wouldn't start. It did start once with the new battery, but only when I fully depressed the gas pedal on a few attempts. It idled fine, but died when I revved the engine. After that, it would crank but not start.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance...

#2 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

It sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem. Change the fuel filter and see if the problem clears up. If not you may have a weak fuel pump or a bad injector. Another possible problem is the coil pack, but I am not tending to think this with your symptoms.

Good luck

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

Engine Temp Sensor or crank position sensor. It wont show up on a scan as the scan only shows errors on a started engine, not won that wont start. Thats where i would look first.

Do you have spark?

nipper

#4 dlove

dlove

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

It started tonight, I let it run for about 90 minutes. When I turned it off and restarted it immediately afterward, it fired right up on three seperate attempts.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

It started tonight, I let it run for about 90 minutes. When I turned it off and restarted it immediately afterward, it fired right up on three seperate attempts.

Typical of a goofy electronic issue.

nipper

#6 dlove

dlove

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

After poking around under the hood for a little bit, I discovered that the main ground cable coming off of the battery wasn't actually bolted on to the engine block! It was just lying on the block loose. I bolted it to the block and all is well. :grin:

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

After poking around under the hood for a little bit, I discovered that the main ground cable coming off of the battery wasn't actually bolted on to the engine block! It was just lying on the block loose. I bolted it to the block and all is well. :grin:

That qualifies as goofy :)

nipper

#8 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,311 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

on my engine that ground cable is bolted on one of the starter bolts, double check to make sure both are still there, one bolt, one nut on a stud i think.

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,101 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

Engine Temp Sensor or crank position sensor.

nipper

my guess woudl be Coolant Temp Sensor as well. It's a PITA, but if you remove the intake tube and move some stuff you can disconnect the CTS. Make sure to put the intake tube back on before trying to start.

They will usually fire right up then if the CTS is the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users