Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hubtamer type tool on Harbor Freight for cheap!

Hey guys/gals,

http://www.harborfreight.com has a tool similar to the Hubtamer, ITEM 45210-0VGA, $77.00. About the only thing this tool is missing is the huge attachment that's used to drive the hub out. However, you can use a slidehammer to drive the hub out (instructions on goodwrench.com).

Normally I don't purchase tools from this place unless they're the disposable type. However, in this case you have bunch of discs, a large nut, and a forcing screw. I think this should work out fine for the weekend worrior.

FYI,

Ali

Originally posted by frag

Would someone explain what exactly one can do with the Harbor Freight tool and what else would be needed to replace a bearing.

Remove and replace the bearing?

Remove and replace the hub?

Gills,

Check out my locker on the SVX site to get an understanding how the discs come into play. http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?alia176|13589 Hopefully, the pics will help!

:D

Ali

• 2 years later...
Hey guys/gals,

http://www.harborfreight.com has a tool similar to the Hubtamer, ITEM 45210-0VGA, $77.00. About the only thing this tool is missing is the huge attachment that's used to drive the hub out. However, you can use a slidehammer to drive the hub out (instructions on goodwrench.com).

Normally I don't purchase tools from this place unless they're the disposable type. However, in this case you have bunch of discs, a large nut, and a forcing screw. I think this should work out fine for the weekend worrior.

FYI,

Ali

Has anyone actually bought this tool and used it to replace wheel bearings? Can you recommend it for a Forester? The webpage says it is for front wheel bearing but I don't see why it won't do for rear as well.

Wow dudes that's a sweet tool. Plus I just checked online and it came back with part number 45210-3VGA at 59.99 right now! I've seen hubtamer before and it looked really cool but was too much $$! I might just order this thing now while it's on sale and have it on hand in case I need it :) Plus it gives me an excuse to buy some other stuff at the same time. Hope they still do $8.99 or whatever flat rate shipping. Wonder if this is available at the retail stores. I have their 20 ton press too but haven't had occasion to use it yet.

looks like it's just the adaptors, not the clamp? i don't know the hub master but all the picture shows is dics and cylinders, nothing else. and the name says "adaptors". nothing else.

double check.

Wow dudes that's a sweet tool. Plus I just checked online and it came back with part number 45210-3VGA at 59.99 right now! I've seen hubtamer before and it looked really cool but was too much $$! I might just order this thing now while it's on sale and have it on hand in case I need it :) Plus it gives me an excuse to buy some other stuff at the same time. Hope they still do $8.99 or whatever flat rate shipping. Wonder if this is available at the retail stores. I have their 20 ton press too but haven't had occasion to use it yet.

looks like it's just the adaptors, not the clamp? i don't know the hub master but all the picture shows is dics and cylinders, nothing else. and the name says "adaptors". nothing else.

double check.

I looked through the instructions and they seem to think that the only other item needed would be a slide hammer.

double check.

You can download the instructions which includes a list of what is in it:

1. Bushing range: 2 1/4"-3" (10 sizes)

2. Sleeves (four sizes)

3. Sleeve plates (5 sizes)

4. Sliding screw (7 3/8" long x 3/4", diamter/ 16 NAT

5. Washer size (1 1/2" od, 13/16" id)

Net weight 19.9 lbs.

They have a precise parts list in the instructions.

I've never used anything like this before so I'm not familiar with what one needs. Anyone think this would do the job for my Forester's rear bearings?

A slide hammer..hm well harbor freight does have a heavy inexpensive one but I wonder if that would really be sufficient, I mean why do shops need 20+ ton presses if they could just pull them out with this kit and a slide hammer. The hubtamer has all the needed parts and it says its impact wrench compatible. Anyone know if you can 'rent' the hubtamer like at autozone or anything?

A slide hammer..hm well harbor freight does have a heavy inexpensive one but I wonder if that would really be sufficient, I mean why do shops need 20+ ton presses if they could just pull them out with this kit and a slide hammer. The hubtamer has all the needed parts and it says its impact wrench compatible. Anyone know if you can 'rent' the hubtamer like at autozone or anything?

These type tools are low force tools. There is a Subaru Wheel Bearing replacement document at http://www.endwrench.com that says: "To reduce the possibility of repeat premature failures, Subaru has introduced a new procedure to service the rear wheel bearings of the models listed above that entails replacing the rear wheel bearing on the vehicle. This new procedure eliminates the heavy forces needed to service the rear wheel bearings that occur when using a hydraulic press. This smooth, low force installation eliminates the chances of deforming the wheel bearing housing and increases the efficiency of the repair." So I guess shops do not need heavy hydraulic presses if they have correct tools. I can rent a slide hammer for $6/day from Carquest.

double check.

I've examined the parts list carefully and it has:

1. Sleeves

2. Sleeve plates

3. Bushings

4. Sliding screw with long nut

5. Washers

I went through the instruction list and it sounds like everything is there that would be necessary. Just need to rent the slide hammer to pull off hub.

The Subary roller bearing outside diamater is looks to be 2 5/8" and the bushing nearest that size is 2.5" outside diameter. They do have a 2 11/16" bushing also OD, which is 1/16" larger than 2 5/8"

So I'm not sure if the 2.5" bushing will be too small and rest on the inner bearing area. If the inside diameter of the bushing is larger than 2 1/8" then it should work, as the inner bearing is about 2 1/8".

I wonder if the tool will also work on 92 SVX rear wheel bearings??? Can anyone let me know.Thanks

I've examined the parts list carefully and it has:

1. Sleeves

2. Sleeve plates

3. Bushings

4. Sliding screw with long nut

5. Washers

I went through the instruction list and it sounds like everything is there that would be necessary. Just need to rent the slide hammer to pull off hub.

The Subary roller bearing outside diamater is looks to be 2 5/8" and the bushing nearest that size is 2.5" outside diameter. They do have a 2 11/16" bushing also OD, which is 1/16" larger than 2 5/8"

So I'm not sure if the 2.5" bushing will be too small and rest on the inner bearing area. If the inside diameter of the bushing is larger than 2 1/8" then it should work, as the inner bearing is about 2 1/8".