Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windshield wiper motor

I changed out the wiper motor on my old BRAT a year before I sold it. It is a real PITA. First you need to take the cowl cover off and inside you will see the output part of the wiper motor. The subaru factory service manual says to fabricate a tool so you can push the plastic tabs inward on the wiper control arms. Best I could do was two sets of needle nose pliers, don't pinch the piss out of yourself like I did. Some people have used sockets to do this. The wiper motor is held onto the firewall by three 10mm bolts if memory serves me correct

or do what I did

remove motor

remove flat cover over gearbox

remove round cover over motor

clean and lube motor and gearbox

reassemble

reinstall

ADD ground wire from gearbox cover screw to strut tower or other suitable ground point

So you noticed a big difference?

On my Hatch, I lost intermittent wipers, and just had slow cycling on all settings. Turned out, the little contact wipers that ride the gear under the cover were bent and shorted. Fixed that, put a little more grease in there under the cover, and it worked great the rest of the time the car lived.

• 8 years later...