Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For CrazyCracker..some old loyal pics and info

Subafreak

As far as pther info on the car i cant be to sure. As you can tell it used to be on a compleatly diffrent body. As far as i know the only things left are the lift kit and the wireing harness for the 2.2L and the roof rack.

I'm pretty sure the tranny i had in it got destroyed. What kida tranny does it have in it now?

It also had a crazy exaust setup in it that used half a turbo housing, does it still have that in it?

Thank You - it has 5 speed trans in it now - as for the exhaust it looks preety normal to me - has a Flowmaster thing on it now - it runs great - I have been having alot of electrical issues lately - the parking lights stay on (even if the car is off) its weird but I haven't had a chance to play w/ it yet - but it just started this over the weekend - I'll take some new pics & post them up later - THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE RESPONSE

Whats the story on the "Frankentranny"?

-Bill

The frankentranny was a Duel range AWD with centerdiff lock tranny out of an 88 Rx, i chopped off the bell housing and welded an EJ bellhousing on to it so i could bolt it up to the EJ22T with the EJ clutch. It worked really well but i think the last guy that had it blew it up.

Ditto on the parking light switch. I never had any electrical issues with engine wiring harness or any other part of the car, but then again it's almost a compleatly diffrent car now from the sounds of it.

Try the little switch on top of the steering column That is most likely the reason the parking lights stay on.

I don't think it has a little switch above the column but I'll double check - I know my WRX has that but not sure on the Loyale - I will look - hopefully its there - that would save a me a ton of headaches

if not the switch any other suggestions??

OK - next question - LSD Rear - I don't think Subafreak put this in but now it has LSD Rear in it (what he was told me) - the problem is it "humms or has a whining sound" VERY LOUD - I put in a 5 channel amp - new speakers & have to have it almost all the way up to hear over the humming sound going down the highway - so the question is - to rebuild the rear how do I know what kind or what parts I may need - I really don't know 2 much about this kind of stuff - I have someone who can do the work - I just need to know what to get - any suggestions would be very helpful - THANKS AGAIN

OK - next question - LSD Rear - I don't think Subafreak put this in but now it has LSD Rear in it (what he was told me) - the problem is it "humms or has a whining sound" VERY LOUD - I put in a 5 channel amp - new speakers & have to have it almost all the way up to hear over the humming sound going down the highway - so the question is - to rebuild the rear how do I know what kind or what parts I may need - I really don't know 2 much about this kind of stuff - I have someone who can do the work - I just need to know what to get - any suggestions would be very helpful - THANKS AGAIN

Ok as far as I know it has a switch over the steering column, mine did. And I bet it's a bad rear wheel bearing and not the rear diff.

ditto,that diff would have to be empty,had a cat stuffed in it,and using a loud speaker to get that loud without locking up.cheers, brian

Ok as far as I know it has a switch over the steering column, mine did. And I bet it's a bad rear wheel bearing and not the rear diff.

thanks I will look into the wheel bearing suggestion - thats what I said about the rear noise - if it was that bad it would lock up, but I wasn't sure

I will post some pics up as soon as I can - I didn't forget - it was a ruff day yesterday - my girls (she my wife basically) grandparents died in a car accident yesterday - so its really been a ruff time w/ that - I may get the pics up today or tomorrow just to get my mind off it but we'll see how things go

its a sh#tty way to start the New Year - but I wish a Happy New Year to all of you

Edited by crazycracker

The car did have an LSD in it before, but they may have changed it to match the ratio of the tranny they put in it.

THe only way the marker lights should be able to get power with the car shut off is through that switch on the column. I would strat there to see if the switch is damaged.

Sorry to hear about your loss, thats a horrible way to go. I hope you new years gets better.

ok - traced the wire from the switch all away down to under the dash - found some kind of "fusable link" - this was cause - so wired in a relay & inline fuse - now works fine

well ok - heres some pics - BEWARE I DID NOT ADJUST THE SIZE - I really haven't had time - so take a look & let me know

30 x 9.5 Generals - rub a littleP1010768.jpg

some dash pics

P1010769.jpg

P1010770.jpg

stereo pics

P1010772.jpg

P1010773.jpg

P1010774.jpg

motor pics (2.2 swap)

P1010775.jpg

P1010776.jpg

different pics

P1010777.jpg

P1010778.jpg

enjoy - what suspension are you guys using? - just seems mine leans towards the passenger side - any ideas?

Edited by crazycracker

Looks much better with the new tires! I enjoy the pics, looks like the same guages i had just mounted in a different spot. (used to be on the dash).

By looking at the engine bay pics it looks like they swaped everything over from the old car, it even still has the vacume controls for the dual range tranny and diff lock.

As for the suspension lean it may just have a worn out spring. I know they had to change the rear swing arm crossmember becouse it broke in half when they ripped one of the swing arms off, they may have built the rear lift uneven. Is it leaning in the front or back?

I don't think it has a little switch above the column but I'll double check - I know my WRX has that but not sure on the Loyale - I will look - hopefully its there - that would save a me a ton of headaches

if not the switch any other suggestions??

Maybe a switch on the headlight knob? Did some of those EA82 have the parking light switch on the knob? A pull and turn thing?

But it sounds like the Suby parking light switch issue none-the-less

yes very much so...

if the ratio in the diff is different from the tranny they are spinning at different speeds.not much different ,but defenitely enough to cause a scream or howl.

if the sticker is not present you could take the cover off to inspect the innards of the diff.the numbers on the ring gear will show you your ratio.

and whatever the tranny is is a dead giveaway to the gurus to tell you your ratio.if they do not match you need to fix that .like now.

the lsd is most likely 3.7 ,and it is possible the tranny is 3.9 in other words.just because the sticker on the rear diff says one thing does not mean it is true,that is why i sayed to take the rear diff cover off and check the numbers on the ring gear....

take some pics of the engine mating to the tranny,is there an adapter plate?because i am betting they just dropped an ej tranny in there.as it does not appear to be a dual range tranny from your pics.

if it is an EJ tranny , it is 4.11 ratio'd.

so, is it a dual range tranny,and do you have an adapter plate between the engine and tranny(it will look a little different opposed to the aluminum on the motor and tranny,might be shinier)

cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru
more info...