Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car died in Illinois! HELP!

hey guys,

i was on my way to utah, from maine, and car died. i can get my car towed from AAA 200 miles or so? I am in minooka currently on rt. 80. I think maybe the timing chain broke? not sure though. anyone out there that could lend a hand and garage to help figure out whats wrong and get me back on the road. much appreciated. Give me a call if your near by, 207-577-0996.

Thanks, Jim

hey guys,

i was on my way to utah, from maine, and car died. i can get my car towed from AAA 200 miles or so? I am in minooka currently on rt. 80. not sure what happened to the engine, it just died. anyone out there that could lend a hand and garage to help figure out whats wrong and get me back on the road. much appreciated. Give me a call if your near by, 207-577-0996.

Thanks, Jim

well just got done talking to my brother and he re checked the dist and popped it off and he thinks it is toast. so you were right. But now he needs prob needs to bring it to a shop since the engine is so out of time now, right? cause he wont just be able to put on a new dist? or is there another way to do this?

well all it needs is the distributor. but he can't get one till thursday, but because of time he can't wait around for it. So he hopped in with his friend and left the car. Car is currently located in minooka, illinois. It has a bunch of sweet goodies on it. so if your interested in getting some parts or want the whole thing (all it needs is a distributor) contact my brother and he can give you contact to the shop that has it now. C and R auto care? maybe? well it seems like a waste to leave a perfectly good car, but this way the best route to go for my bro. Thanks guys. Especially bratman18! much appreciated!

DSC03381.jpg

I will make attempt on this. i bet my wagon would pull it back here no probs.

edit at least its this side of chicago. I don't have o be back to work til Friday, i got the time. will the Distributor in my Brat be the same? thats too far to pull it.

edit again. I called and spoke with him. Is the distributor in a 85 Brat same as a 83 wagon?

Edited by bheinen74

that is my plan. thanks for confirm the distr being same.

the person on the phone just was really bummed and I will go rescue it and put it on the road for my hauler.

Yipppie. Saved.:banana::banana: I hate seeing subaru's go to the crusher just because some little thing goes wrong in the wrong place...

I bet hes getting it for a honey of a price, it looks like theres no rust on the thing.

Yeah I'm honestly not sure if he will pay much for anything for it! He sounded like he just wanted to make sure it got saved! I wish that he had been heading to Maine so that I could have gotten it!!!!:lol: But yeah it does look nice I know it will at least be worth the parts!!! He got lucky for sure and the PO was unlucky!:-\