Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car died in Illinois! HELP!

I made it back with it just about 15 minutes ago. Took about 2 hours to get the thing to run with my Brat distributor. Ran the battery down after much cranking, decided to rotate the rotor blad at increments of 90 each time. jumpstarted. nothing. took a couple plugs out to see, just black, not soaked. decided maby i had the plug wires on wrong on the cap. finally tried about every combo, and it ran. ran like poo, but i took off on the interstate. it died at every intersection before the interstate. I filled up with gas, and then upon entering the interstate, it was running really like poo. max speed was about 40 and it was runnning almost in the red on temp, i had to pull off the first exit. it died. finally got it started, pulled into a travel center, messed with the timing, and bam, ran pretty good. checked coolant level again, was okay, messed with fan connections and it popped on. got back on road and well, it was a 25-40mph wind and i was headed straight into the wind. tried to draft behind semis as much as possible. anyhow, averaged about 50 to 55mph on I-80 runnning straight into what the weather service said was a high wind warning. not good for a ea81 car

its home. whew. good times. 4hour drive there, 2 hours to get it running and 4 hours drive back home i am whooped but it is well worth my effort and it is saved i am going to call it the beast.

Edited by bheinen74

its a gl so yep 4wd high and low. 3rd gear synchro is kinda shaky but i got accustomed to it quickly. i have to arrange to get the title from the owner that left it and arranged allowed me to go save this pretty solid wagon. I am happy with it. will have to to some maintenance stuff for cooling so it seems. ran in the middle of gauge on way back. has some exhaust noise, more so than any of my others. it does have some rust but not deathly by any means. We should figure out what i need to do for it. I am going to drive it close to home for a while and see. the carb on this one seems better than the one on my Brat, so i may swap but who knows. maybe its just my Brat is CA emissioned.....so who knows

Edited by bheinen74

i will get pics to let you guys decide if its worthy of a lift. i think for now, this will replace my Brat until i get the clutch on Brat replaced. Without the Brat clutch useable, I have no dog hauler really. I have 2 dogs, and one is safe to haul in the white car, the other is destructive manners and she will ruin anything but a brat. No way in hell the dogs even get near my svx. i has subies in the drive. pics soon. still cold and icy. my knee is getting better from the come-along breakin and the hook wacking my knee cap.

Anyone wanna come down to smallsville for a Brat clutch jobby spotter extra hand.?

and to decide what to do with the new Beast

I have a spare ea81 lift kit......

i think, long term that one of my EA81 cars, will get a ej22t tranplant. my 92 ss is getting mighty rusty that would make a good donor, but yet the 92 is a good runner, but with rustout. fighting a 40 mph headwind in a ea81 has been not so pleasant and it happens a lot n iowa. not good for interstate drives. the ej22t doesnt even reckognize wind.

I'll call you later today

forgot to add, but it was missing the gas door, and missing the gas cap. i found a rubber glove in my 92 that was from the por-15 time and used that lol. I will be contacting the owner and i bet someone stole the gas out of it but will confirm that or not. okay i am officially going to go off to bed to die for 7 hours then i will be up and having coffee.

I have a spare ea81 lift kit......

If you don't use it locally on the new "beast", I'd be interested in buying it from you.... was just looking at the SJR kits for $455... :confused: I thought there were more like $300 last I had looked (yeah... I know metal prices have gone through the roof in the past year...)

Funny i was thinking the same thing. I mean with it being light out you think he would snap some pictures. Buy they way brent are you collecting subarus these days. You seem to have almost every model. Why dont you have any loyle versions. I saw an xt6 for sale in the nebraska craigs list. Maybe you want to go pick that one up and finish your collection. :o)

Hey all. This is the previous owner. This is the first time I get internet access since the incident...

Brent, since it was pretty loud yesterday when we were talking I'll try to clarify some stuff.

I'm guessing that the gas was taken out of it, everything was there when I left it. And I think your initial problem when trying to start the car was that you didn't time the motor before putting the distributor in. Because there was no way of telling where the internals were at that point; the rotor was taken off and the dist. removed...

Also, I believe I developed and exhaust leak on my way across the country... nothing welding can't fix :) and my average MPG's the previous 3 days on the highway before breaking down was 23, @ 60-70 mph. and the temp gauge never went much above the half way mark as long as I've owned it.

And I checked my notes, it won't need an oil change until 151,188. I think I told you something completely different. I have a front brush guard for the car too. The mount is already on the car, the guard would just slide on and get bolted to it. I also have two brand new front struts. I think that’s about it, if you or any one is interested. She’s a little rusty as you’ll see. But a couple of months ago she got new rockers complete with reinforcement bars/mini rock slider type of things.

I am super bummed out about my horrible loss. It was not an easy decision to leave the car in some ************ty Illinois town, but the weight of getting to my destination with my driving partner in a reasonable time, outweighed the week of loss time waiting for the new distributor and being pissed and bored as hell, then having to travel to Utah solo. But now I have to deal with no car, and no money to find a replacement… But I am happy to know that it won’t get crushed. It broke my heart to know I stranded a perfectly find automobile, but I had to do what I had to do…

I’m going to stop blabbering now :) I just thought I’d give some info and a little insight from my end. Brent, if you have any questions you know how to reach me.

Thank you all for trying to help me out during that hard time, makes me even more proud to wear my USMB shirt!