Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Earlier distributor in 88 Wagon?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greenacarina

greenacarina

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Everett, WA

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

So, my SPFI wagon has this horrible hesitation under load....like almost undriveable. Can't find the info in any of my manuals on how the advance works (electronic, yes....but is there some vacuum sensor involved? how does it compensate for load?). Anywho, I was thinking of plopping in a distributor from an '85 that has the vacuum advance. Good idea? Bad idea? Should I be focusing my attention on something else?
Thanks!
Chris

#2 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

I moved you post for better coverage

The distributor in your SPFI car is a
CAS - Crank Angle Sensor
insides shown here
Posted Image
The 85 has a more or less conventional electronic
dist.
completely different.

Have you changed your fuel filter lately?

#3 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:06 AM

Another possibility is the air mass sensor located by your air filter.

#4 greenacarina

greenacarina

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Everett, WA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

OK, got out today in the currently tolerable weather and played with this thing some more. Tested every aspect of the FI system to rule that stuff out of the euqation. Air mass meter is within specs, fuel pressure is correct while running and sitting for 10 minutes (fuel filter is new), throttle switch is adjusted correctly. So, the symptoms that I am dealing with- car starts and idles fine, acceleration is a bit sluggish when rolling gently into the throttle. Falls flat on it's face and backfires under hard acceleration and under load. Ignition timing is set to factory spec and appears to advance when using a timing light in the driveway. I am still totally unclear how the timing advance is controlled (ECU???) and how load is sensed (normally manifold or ported vacuum on most cars, but apparently not this one). Any insight??? The ol' Haynes book is maginal at best.

Chris

#5 greenacarina

greenacarina

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Everett, WA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

Sorry, should be "equation" and "marginal"

ALSO- Is my notion of putting an earlier vacuum-advance distributor (from an '85) in my car ill-advised?

Thanks.
Chris

OK, got out today in the currently tolerable weather and played with this thing some more. Tested every aspect of the FI system to rule that stuff out of the euqation. Air mass meter is within specs, fuel pressure is correct while running and sitting for 10 minutes (fuel filter is new), throttle switch is adjusted correctly. So, the symptoms that I am dealing with- car starts and idles fine, acceleration is a bit sluggish when rolling gently into the throttle. Falls flat on it's face and backfires under hard acceleration and under load. Ignition timing is set to factory spec and appears to advance when using a timing light in the driveway. I am still totally unclear how the timing advance is controlled (ECU???) and how load is sensed (normally manifold or ported vacuum on most cars, but apparently not this one). Any insight??? The ol' Haynes book is maginal at best.

Chris

#6 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,774 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Your other disty won`t work.

ECU calculates required advance from TPS and airflow meter inputs.

Suggest you measure fuel pressure under load when the problem occurs.

#7 greenacarina

greenacarina

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Everett, WA

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

Your other disty won`t work.

ECU calculates required advance from TPS and airflow meter inputs.

Suggest you measure fuel pressure under load when the problem occurs.

OK, will give that a go.
Thanks.
Chris

#8 ThirdEyeHatch

ThirdEyeHatch

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Federal Way

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Maybe a clogged cat?

#9 RMVR53

RMVR53

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Denver Metro

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

Chris

you should check out the thread --- EA82 looses all power ---. You just might find a similarity/solution to your situation

Bill

#10 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:32 AM

What about vacume hoses fellas

#11 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:17 AM

Probably a bad TPS. Check it through the sweep with a DMM - might have bad spots in it.

GD

#12 greenacarina

greenacarina

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Everett, WA

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

Problem solved!!! It was a crappy fuel pump. This was certainly a good exercise in getting familiar with the injection system, however. Now on to more mundane things- timing belts, oil pump seal, exhaust studs...the usual suspects! :)

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users