Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How does FWD plug/fuse work, 96 Leg OB

A friend told me that a mechanic friend told him (bad news already?) that removing the FWD fuse/plug from my 96 Leg OB would disable AWD just leaving front wheel drive and this would save on tire wear. I've been doing this during summer months based on his advice.

After reading another thread about this I'm not sure now what this actually does or if it is a good idea at all.

Could someone here give me an idiots guide version on how this fuse/plug is wired, what it does and if I should continue removing it?

Thanks,

PT

A friend told me that a mechanic friend told him (bad news already?) that removing the FWD fuse/plug from my 96 Leg OB would disable AWD just leaving front wheel drive and this would save on tire wear. I've been doing this during summer months based on his advice.

After reading another thread about this I'm not sure now what this actually does or if it is a good idea at all.

Could someone here give me an idiots guide version on how this fuse/plug is wired, what it does and if I should continue removing it?

Thanks,

PT

First of all you have to put the fuse in the holder to get front wheel drive. This is only on the automatics. Second it really doesn't improve tire wear unless your AWD system is old and not running right(torque bind) And it also really does not effect gas mileage either. But you can do wicked burnouts with the fuse in!!!

like the wise Bratman says

it is a fuse not a "plug"

It forces the transmission computer to stay in

Front Wheel Drive (FWD)

The holder for the fuse is shown below.

It is there for use when having the donut spare fitted.

(which should only be on the rear)

It must then stay in FWD

because it is a different dia. than the other tires.

There has been no documented proof

that having it in helps in any way.

FWDfuse.JPG

If all things are in proper working order the fuse being in or out won't help tire wear or gas mileage.

If I read your post right and you are removing the fuse to make it FWD then you are doing it backwards.

Fuse in = FWD

Fuse out = AWD

like the wise Bratman says

it is a fuse not a "plug"

It forces the transmission computer to stay in

Front Wheel Drive (FWD)

The holder for the fuse is shown below.

It is there for use when having the donut spare fitted.

(which should only be on the rear)

It must then stay in FWD

because it is a different dia. than the other tires.

There has been no documented proof

that having it in helps in any way.

FWDfuse.JPG

I am on my third AWD Subie, and never knew what the FWD fuse holder was for. Yes, I knew that installing the fuse resulted in FWD, but never knew that it was intended for use when the donut spare is installed. Guess I should have read the car manual carefully. Guess, I am lucky to never have had a flat. Thanks for the fuse education............Rooster2

Curious, my 98 OBS doesn't appear to have that fuse holder (just popped the hood and looked), is it located somewhere else on this year/model?

Do you have a Manual trans?

Manual trans use a purely mechanical AWD system, no hydraulics to control = no TCU = no Fuse= better have a full size spare.

OK, now I think I understand:

It looks like I have been removing the entire "holder" which never had a fuse in it anyway, so this would not have had any effect on drive.

If I flip the cap on the holder and put in a fuse then I'll be in front wheel drive, but sounds like this is a useless maneuver anyway so I won't do it...

unless I put a donut spare on the back in which case I will need to insert a fuse...

If donut spare goes on front I guess there is no issue?

Could someone tell me what AMP fuse I should use for this if I ever put the spare on so I can keep one available in the spare tire kit?

Thanks.

PT

" If donut spare goes on front I guess there is no issue?"

Sorry MAJOR issue,

if you get a flat on the front

your owners manual will tell you

transfer a rear to the front,

put the donut on the rear,

insert fuse drive to a service station

"Could someone tell me what AMP fuse I should use for this if I ever put the spare on so I can keep one available in the spare tire kit?"

Any fuse will do, use one of the spares already in your fuse box.

some people say 15A but it is a very small current that passes

through it.

It does not connect directly to the duty C

AWD control solenoid,

only to the logic circuits in the TCU

Infildel:

Excusing your post hijack, look around the same area

many times the cover is missing and you will only

see two female spade connectors standing verticly