Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proper wheel/tire size for 98 OBS?

When I purchased my 98 OBS a while back the previous owner had put new wheels and tires on it, supposedly because the hubcaps kept getting stolen. She indicated that the tires weren't the right size so it would rub going over bumps or hauling loads. I had thought this may be due to weak rear springs, but now I think it's due to an incorrect offset on the aftermarket wheels. I'm looking into getting the propert sized wheels, either oem or aftermarket.

Currently I have 205/60-15 tires, unsure of the wheel offset but the rubbing occurs on the very outside of the tire, a 10-15 mm change in offset would eliminate the rubbing.

A newer model OBS parks right next to me at work, the OEM wheel set up is obviously narrower than mine, although they have 16 in wheels.

So, what is the proper offset?

What models/years OEM wheels should work?

What is the original OEM set up on this car?

Thanks all

I've found several people sellling 16" OEM takeoffs near me for pretty cheap. Any clearance issues with running 16" on the OBS? Lower profile tires maybe to correct the overall diameter?

Cheaper though if I can just find 15" wheels and put my current, nearly new, tires on them.

Thanks for the info so far, 205/60-15 per the tag in the door.

I've found several people sellling 16" OEM takeoffs near me for pretty cheap. Any clearance issues with running 16" on the OBS? Lower profile tires maybe to correct the overall diameter?

Cheaper though if I can just find 15" wheels and put my current, nearly new, tires on them.

Thanks for the info so far, 205/60-15 per the tag in the door.

No as long as they are subaru 16" wheels they will fit fine. I have 205 55 16 on my Impreza 2.5RS so I'm sure you could use those or you could get some that are a little taller if you wanted, as my RS is a little lower than the OBS