Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vacuum advance question

ok so i found out yesterday that my distributor in my 87 dl carb. vacuum advance doesnt work. timed it to where it should be. plugged in the vac. line and nothing moved. reved it a little and still nothing. is there a place where you can just get the vac can? or do you have to buy the complete distributor? also how much advance does the vacuum give it?

+1 for Philbin, and I don't mean Regis.

They have fast turnaround and did a great job with the last one I sent them.

You can get away with removing the advance unit to mail off to them, and still leaving the car driveable. Set the base timing to around 15-20 degrees, it will help with drivability until the rebuilt advance unit comes back.

ok on the site they have this graph

Distributor Bench Testing $15.00

Recurves $40.00

HEI R&R see catalog

Non-catalog single point rebuilds $88.50

Non-catalog dual point rebuilds $105.75

Non-catalog unit with governor $160.00

Mallory (general applications) $88.50

Industrial applications $88.50

Vacuum advance-single $25.00

Vacuum advance-dual $45.00

Shaft rebuild $25.00

Gears $15.00 min.

how much would it be to send it to them and have them rebuild the whole thing? is it the 88.50 one?

also at advance auto parts they have one for 153 but it is rebuilt too. how long will philbin take from when i ship it to when i ghet it back?

Edited by crazylong127

ok on the site they have this graph

Distributor Bench Testing $15.00

Recurves $40.00

HEI R&R see catalog

Non-catalog single point rebuilds $88.50

Non-catalog dual point rebuilds $105.75

Non-catalog unit with governor $160.00

Mallory (general applications) $88.50

Industrial applications $88.50

Vacuum advance-single $25.00

Vacuum advance-dual $45.00

Shaft rebuild $25.00

Gears $15.00 min.

how much would it be to send it to them and have them rebuild the whole thing? is it the 88.50 one?

Not the Mallory. It's either a Vac advance single(4wd) or a Vac advance Dual (2wd, feedback carb,)

I paid them $40 to have a single unit rebuilt and shipped to me. Call them, and I'll bet they'd say that would cover it.

I Suggest to go search for a new Vacuum Advance module at the Subaru Dealer...

When I did the Weber Swap on my EA82 Wagon, I Needed a Single Hose Vacuum Advance, so I Took off the Double Hosed one, went to the Dealer and I Found easily a Single Hosed one... (They had the double hosed there too) ...and I Found it there Very Cheap!

Good Luck!

I Suggest to go search for a new Vacuum Advance module at the Subaru Dealer...

When I did the Weber Swap on my EA82 Wagon, I Needed a Single Hose Vacuum Advance, so I Took off the Double Hosed one, went to the Dealer and I Found easily a Single Hosed one... (They had the double hosed there too) ...and I Found it there Very Cheap!

Good Luck!

really??? how cheap is cheap?

Well... I Paid around 200 Lempiras (Our Currency, about 20 Lempiras per One US Dollar) it is like around less than 10 US$ for a Brand new Vacuum Advance module for the Disty...
At that price it would be worth it to import it from your country!

yeah when i bought the vacuum advance from the subaru dealer for my brat it was $70 dollars:eek: and they told me that it was the last of it's kind although they have a tendencey to lie but give it a go for the ea82 series they might just have one there just expensive O.o and they come out of the east coast..... so it took a while to get it

• 7 months later...

I have an EA81 engine with a vacuum advance dizzy. I had a similar issue with zero advance. I had a spare distributor that looked to be in good shape, but had an electrical issue. I swapped the vacuum module/diaphram over to the dizzy in the car. It still gets zero advance. Everything inside the distrubutor seems to move like it should. I pulled the hose off to check by hand that it is pulling vacuum. It is pulling under throttle, but doesn't seem to pull real hard. I don't know how hard it is supposed to pull. Are there any tricks to figure out what is going on?

I thought about drilling a hole in one of the caps to look inside while the car is running to see if anything moves.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks guys! with your advice I was able to determine that it was a vacuum leak elsewhere. The previous owner had "modified" the aircleaner to breathe easier, but screwed up the vacuum. This engine is in the back of a '72 beetle. It just smoked the tires and left a pair of black stripes on the road.:banana: