Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any comments on Valvoline Oil Filters?

Originally posted by Partsman

But don't rev too much! ATF is nasty stuff. The engine flush that I sell (which is along the same lines) tells you to just idle the car and not to drive it.

Whats driving it supposed to do when you have ATF in before an oil change?

Removed the Valvoline filter last night and put the Ryco on, and it made absolutely no difference to the lifter tick, which I guess I had fairly much expected. I'm a bit more confident in the Ryco being a better filter than the Valvoline though so not all is wasted. The Valvoline filter is nearly half the price of the Ryco so you'd sort of expect it to be not the best quality. I'll probably just let the lifter tick go for the moment and see what happens, as it's really not bad enough to worry about subjecting the engine to the ATF trick. Thanks Skip for the link to the oil filter test, I'm suspecting the Valvoline filter may be similar to the Penzoil filter in that it's a rebadged Fram. If I get bored one day I might open it up and see if it's got the tell tale cardboard ends.

Also... was reading a repair manual and it said lifter tick could also be caused by a loose cam belt??? I don't think the belt would be loose, but I'll check it soon, but I can't figure out why a loose cam belt would make the lifters tick. Any one seen lifter tick being caused by a loose cam belt?