Ultimate Subaru Message Board

? legacy speaker upgrade?

A friend bought a baja a little while ago and upgraded the entire sound system. He then gave me the stock speakers from the baja to replace the old, original speakers on my '94 legacy wgn. the rear speakers swapped out perfectly, however the front door panel speakers don't work at all. W/O the original mounting braket, sizes are all wrong

Is it possible to find legacy/sube specific or comptable speaker mounting brackets to accomplish this upgrade? If so, does anyone know where?

Also does anyone know where i can find the wiring diagrams specifically for the sound system? I have a bad connection somwhere, the right rear speaker cuts in and out. (it did this prior to the new speaker)

And while i'm here, what about putting the baja stock head unit in my legacy? Could that work?

I installed a set of new Pioneers in my 91 last year. I basically took the old speakers, drilled out the spot welds that held the speaker frame to the conical mount, and used that to mount the new speakers to. The result works well, but I would recommend really bolting the speaker down, I think I have a loose one on my passenger side. Hope this helps out.

I don't know if there are Sube specific brackets, but drilling holes to mount speakers isn't very difficult. I would suggest buying a good quality 1/8 inch drill, and using a little bit of lube on the drill bit will make it last longer. After I got the door panels off, drilling the holes and installing the speakers in my '96 Legacy OB took about 15 minutes.

-Collin