Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cold start-choking engine in the cold mornings

:confused:

I have read some of the post but I cannot find any problem that is similar to mine.

I have a 2007 Subaru Impreza 1.5 engine, auto transmission. Especially, in winter when I turn the ignition key, the engine starts immediately and dies in 3 seconds. The engine rpm sticks around 200-300 rpm (very close to zero) for about 3 seconds. In these three seconds, battery and oil at temp light flashes like crazy. When I try the second time, it takes 8-10 seconds for engine to start. (If it does not start at the third time, the spark plugs gets wet and oily, I have to get them replaced, and it costs me a lot) If the weather is really cold, I have no luck. I think that the engine takes a lot of gas but the engine cannot go to 2000rpm. For this reason, it chokes itself pretty good. I do not know what to do. A Subaru mechanic in my country (Turkey) suggested me to buy some engine heaters since my car behaves very nicely at warm weather. However, I do not have a garage and I cannot send some electric cables from third floor to across the street. Any solution is greatly appreciated.

Mehmet

In Turkey, do you have the same warranty as US - 3 years/58,000Km for basic and 5 years/97,000Km for powertrain? If so, take it to the dealer. They should fix it under warranty.

My old Legacy acts the same way when it's -18C/0F and colder temperature. I believe I have a bad temperature sensor or a MAP pressure sensor (I have a turbo).

Good luck.

P.S. Does Turkey drive on the left or right side of the road?

It is still under warranty and I did take my car to the Subaru service last summer. Back then, my car was not working even in warm weather. The mechanic told me that the butterfly valve in the engine got dirty and could not close itself. The angle of the valve should be 0º in closed position. However, it was 0.5º in my car. When I had turned the key to start engine, it had sent a lot of gas and choked the engine. ( I do not understand. If it was sending a lot of gas, why the engine started when I pushed the gas pedal several times and sent more gas to the engine while turning the key.) The mechanic changed some part of the valve too. He also said that he cleaned the sensors in the engine. The mechanic told me that he did everything he could do. I think that those lovely sensors are very expensive in Turkey and they just clean them instead of changing them. The problem is that there is no Subaru dealer in my little town and I need to drive many many miles to get to a decent Subaru dealer. I wish it was something that I could fix. I am very tired of calling Subaru help center in Turkey. They could not fix my car for two years. I wish I did not buy this car or I could return it and get my money back. I used Subaru Outback in the USA and I absolutely had no problem with it.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Mehmet

P.S. Yes, we drive on the right side of the road just like you. By the way, I miss the roads in the USA along with chocolate cake and Brayers icecream.

I have found some info on the net. This one gives me an idea about how to change it.http://www.lovehorsepower.com/SubaruDocs/CoolantTempSensor.html

The place of it might be different in my car. This must be the coolant sensor http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=1032. It is not expensive either.

If I ask Subaru dealer to send me one sensor, I am sure they would do it. However, I am a little mad at them since they have been failing to fix my car for quite some time. I might contact to another dealer in Turkey.

I can fix stuff and I love to fix stuff.

I hate telling someone to thorw parts at a problem, but since its an engine i am not familair with in a country i dont know and my arms don't reach ...

If its cheap enough then I say we try it.

Does this have an OBDII connector on it or a CEL on?

I am not familiar with these electronic stuff. There are check light on the dashboard. There is no light about coolant though. There is a socket under the wheel. One time, they sent me a tool to connect it and get some reading from my car while starting the engine. (as a result of this readin, they said that they installed a quick start program (whatever it is)) I assume that they also connected my car to their diagnostic tool and run a full check-up last summer. I have been having this problem for two winters. If coolant sensor was bad, their diagnosting computer would have showed it. Right? I am afraid there is something wrong with my 2007 Subaru impreza since I have heard that some people having difficulty with starting the engine in these cars in Turkey. The place where I live is very cold in winters and my Subaru made me very upset so far. I get up in the middle of night and run the engine in freezing weather. Otherwise, it won't start in the morning. Now, I should get some sleep and pray to God that my car works tomorrow morning.

I will try get info about the coolant sensor from the Subaru mechanics in Turkey. I hope this will end my winter nightmare.

I would like to thank you for your suggestions.

Mehmet

By the way, cranking with the throttle floored clears an EFI engine every bit as good as on a car with a carburetor, even though the injectors are shooting a bit of gas in.

If it won't start and you suspect its flooded, floor the gas and crank the engine, and as it catches let off the gas just enough to keep the revs at about 2000 rpm as it clears out.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip. This is interesting. This EFI engines are certainly strange. This might have been the reason why this car worked when the butterfly valve malfunctioned and sent a lot of gas to the engine and choked it last summer. When I pushed the gas pedal a couple times, the engine caught on and started back then. I asked the Subaru mechanic why the engine started when I pushed the gas pedal a couple times if the butterfly valve was already sending a lot gas to the engine. He did not answer.

If I do this, will it increase the possibility of getting spark plugs wet and oily? If it does, I had better not practice this tip. As you have guessed, I am just learning to deal with my Subaru problem.

Mehmet

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip. This is interesting. This EFI engines are certainly strange. This might have been the reason why this car worked when the butterfly valve malfunctioned and sent a lot of gas to the engine and choked it last summer. When I pushed the gas pedal a couple times, the engine caught on and started back then. I asked the Subaru mechanic why the engine started when I pushed the gas pedal a couple times if the butterfly valve was already sending a lot gas to the engine. He did not answer.

If I do this, will it increase the possibility of getting spark plugs wet and oily? If it does, I had better not practice this tip. As you have guessed, I am just learning to deal with my Subaru problem.

Mehmet

I don't think there's much or any risk of that, the airflow is going to outweigh the fuel flow, you just need to remember to keep your foot down until its really running (but don't over-rev it).

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A Subaru mechanic has come to my city to fix my car. It was nice. However, they cannot do anything helpful. He certainly said that coolant sensor is not faulty but he can change it if I feel better. He changed the spark plugs and installed another program. The engine started at the third try with new spark plugs (the temperature -19 Celsius = -2.2 Fahrenheit) . This morning, I tried everything I know and the engine started at the fourth try. When it started, the engine could not go to 2000rpm. It stayed at the 200rpm about 6 seconds before slowly going to 2000rpm. He had some computer and gas mixture measurements. He said that they would send them to Japan. I feel like I am a guinea pig. These subaru people in Turkey have sure some strange reasoning. They say that if the car is starting well in the warm weather, there is no major problem with the car. I say that, it is not starting in cold weather, there is a big problem with the car.

I am too tired to deal with the Subaru impreza and Subaru mechanics in Turkey. I had better go to court and sue them. I do not like Subaru anymore. Everybody is happy with Ford dealer in my city. If I can get my money back, I will buy a Ford Focus. I think that these boxer engines do like cold weather although I drove Subaru Outback in the USA and it did not have any problems.

Mehmet