Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand Lake 1-11-09 *now with more pics

TeamCF

Well proly gonna be hittin' up Sand Lake with Scoobyclimbs this upcoming Sunday.

This is not 100% but as it's about all we got that's not covered on feet of snow (most trails around here are glacial this time of year) And I really don't feel like playing in snow anyway. I did enough deep snow play just getting out of my driveway (300' long hill to the road, we had a few feet that just FINALLY went away) the past few weeks to last me a couple years. I'm freakin over it.

It's 99.99999% gonna happen.

Not sure on times and CB channel yet. But proly leave early from here. Takes me a few hours to get there. And lets say for now... channel 9 ???

I got my new 100amp GM alt in and wanna go get some crud on it. :grin:

Chaz? Mike? Wanna go play?

Anyone else? All you need is a dune flag and a tire gauge. :)

Pump helps too but there's one at the gas station down the street to air back up.

Even if some show up late it's not like some running around the dunes looking for Soobs won't get us all together later. :)

http://www.sandlakeoregon.com

Only thing I'm seeing as far as conditions go is carry chains in hwy 6. and that's for a 1,600' pass.

I'm at about that here and it's clear. And only supposed to get nicer as the weekend goes on. :)

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?mainNav=RoadConditions&curRegion=1

Weather expected near SL.

Saturday Night

Saturday night, occasional light rain. Lows 40 to 45. South wind 10 to 20 mph.

Sunday

Sunday, rain likely. Highs 45 to 50. South wind 5 to 15 mph.

Sunday Night

Sunday night, mostly cloudy. Chance of rain. Lows 40 to 45. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.

Thought about TSF as well.

But some trails will be covered.

Some have received damage and are closed.

And all will be grease.

But I'm not against checking it out.

The powerlines trails are pretty quick to get to and will tell the story if they are open.

* oh and the station near Sand Lake has Dune flags and a littl ATV shop that has some supplies of interest to Wheelers as well. But I would tend to think hitting up a local ATV shop near anyones house that goes would be advised. Just to be safe. Also gives time to install the mount rather than at the dunes.

Edited by TeamCF
pics at the end, changed date cause I messed up.

wish i could but i promised a co-worker we would put his 4" lift on his Dodge truck on sunday. so i'm out for this weekend. but looking forward to the next time. i talked to Greg a couple of hours ago, he called to let me know about the plans.

anyway have fun, guys.

wish i could but i promised a co-worker we would put his 4" lift on his Dodge truck on sunday. so i'm out for this weekend. but looking forward to the next time. i talked to Greg a couple of hours ago, he called to let me know about the plans.

anyway have fun, guys.

That's cool. This kinda came up as a late plan.

We had thought about it a few days ago but didn't REALLY think it'd be fun till yesterday.

Should get your buddy and his newly lifted Dodge in on the next time too. :)

Always fun to have some variety.

We'll have to plan a run more in advance, one of these days. Like how the guys up in Wa tend to do.

Seems for us it's always a last minute "Who's in?"

thats cool, i've been trying to keep myself open so that i have more freedom to go when something does come up.

hes been hinting around about it and ended up getting the lift and now he wants to do it so i comitted to it this sunday just to shut him up. hes a cool kid and all but very picky and he knows i won't hurry it and i'll do a good job, its just a pavement pounder so he'll never take it out i've tried with the last 2 vehicles i've lifted for him.

anyway keep me posted on the next trip, i shouldn't have anything come up that i can't just drop till the next weekend. that i know of :rolleyes:.

its just a pavement pounder so he'll never take it out i've tried with the last 2 vehicles i've lifted for him.

uh oh, another Concrete Cowboy. :confused:

I've never understood the point to building an off-road capable vehicle and then not using it off-road.

Shouldn't drive something that you don't need in my opinion. But that's just my take on it. But I'm more of a go, screw the show kind of guy.

Hey cmiller.

We'll try to get something going with more notice. :)

I know I want to just cause it will mean a bigger group.

Seems there is always a few that miss out cause they need more notice.

I just gotta get out of my last minute shell and plan ahead. :lol:

Maybe another SL trip.

Got all my crap together. At least as far as the Soob goes.

Made sure to top off the wiper fluid as it will be needed heavly.

Threw the flag in now. I know if I didn't I'd get halfway there and realize I forgot it. :lol:

I really need to fix all the leaks in that thing though. Everything I had on the floor in the back was soaked all my maps, blanket, a towel, a winter jacket.

All sponges. :-\

Anyway, I got your message Greg. We can meet at the Shell as it's kind of at the point our two paths meet. Or we can just meet out at SL.

I'm not sure on a SL time though. I can be passing by the Shell around 8:30- 9 though.

Unless you want eariler. I know you said you wanted to go out there at dawn.

Just incase we don't hook up at first.

Lets try CB 9. If it's too busy we can change it up. :)

Anybody else that might try to make it that's the tenative plan. Like I said before, just head out to SL if all else fails, I'm sure you won't miss the Soobs running around. :grin:

* So it's meeting at the Gales Creek Shell station on Hwy 6 at 9am then. (just talked to scoobyclimbs.)

Edited by TeamCF

take some good pics for us:banana:

I seriously want to get out there sometime with you guys, let me know when you plan to wheel Sand Lake again!:banana:

No problem. :)

(on the pics and letting you know, I just hope it's not as rainy as they say it'll be or that will cut into the pics.)

Yeah yeah yeah.

I realize today was the 11th and I also realize that channel 9 is the emergency channel.

I seem to have had a major brain fart. :lol:

Anyway all turned out well.

Met up with scoobyclimbs at about 9:30 (yeah we were late too, he showed up just before me)

We changed to channel 10, topped of the gas and headed the rest of the way to Sand Lake.

I had a grinding sound coming from under the hood.

I chose to ignore it.

There was wheeling to be had after all. No metal on metal noise was going to get in the way of that.

Turns out that when you do a GM 100 amp alt upgrade with no lift.....

It will hit the hood under torque and the alt's fan will grind a slot in it. :lol:

Found that out near the end of the day after messing with it wondering what the heck. Then just looking up to see the damage.

I fixed it with a hammer on the dunes. That shut it up. I'll have to pretty up the hood later, it works fine for now.

That's what I get for making this trip it's test drive.

So I have a few pics.

SC got some vid. (And you can hear my grinding!! hehe)

It was good times. :banana:

With a maniacal laugh, I plowed that kid's sand castle.......

sandblast1.jpg

The male dung beetles will fight over the dung ball. The winner will impress the female.

sandsoobs1.jpg

Lots of fun little trails out there to play around in.

SLtrails.jpg

Just pounded it out some, and it clears now. Kept looking down for the cause of the ruckus. Just had to look up. :lol:

altfiling.jpg

So it has been decided that Sand Lake is the new winter wheeling spot.

As the regular trails are all glacial right now around here. And not the fun kind of snow. The "move 2 feet dig for two hours, repeat" kind. :-\

We plan to plan another trip for a couple weeks from now.

This is advance warning for anyone wanting to go play. :grin:

Edited by TeamCF