Ultimate Subaru Message Board

glass

Scoobywagon

I work in a glass shop and, though it isn't Subaru-specific, I have found that I can sometimes get glass parts that are otherwise very difficult to get. For those of you who are local, I can get you a hookup on the glass and install. For those of you further afield, I can get glass shipped sometimes.

If you feel that your local shop is trying to hose you, I'll be happy to provide wholesale prices. I can't SELL at wholesale, but I'll be happy to tell you what the local dealer is likely paying for his glass. I can even get you NAGS and OEM part numbers to help you locate your part.

If you need glass or glass-related parts, PM or email me and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

**EDIT**

Just talked to the boss-man. USMB members get an automatic 10% off.

Edited by Scoobywagon

• 1 month later...
I work in a glass shop and, though it isn't Subaru-specific, I have found that I can sometimes get glass parts that are otherwise very difficult to get. For those of you who are local, I can get you a hookup on the glass and install. For those of you further afield, I can get glass shipped sometimes.

If you feel that your local shop is trying to hose you, I'll be happy to provide wholesale prices. I can't SELL at wholesale, but I'll be happy to tell you what the local dealer is likely paying for his glass. I can even get you NAGS and OEM part numbers to help you locate your part.

If you need glass or glass-related parts, PM or email me and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

**EDIT**

Just talked to the boss-man. USMB members get an automatic 10% off.

I'm in PA, so it might be worth the drive for a good deal. How much for an '85 Brat windshield installed? Thanks.

Jacob

EA81 Brats do not have gasket set windshields. They are urethane set. So yes, you get a new seal, but the chrome trim pieces get re-used. If yours are beat, I can hunt around. I've found them before, but they're PRICEY.

Let me know. I can get you scheduled up pretty quick if you'd like.

EA81 Brats do not have gasket set windshields. They are urethane set. So yes, you get a new seal, but the chrome trim pieces get re-used. If yours are beat, I can hunt around. I've found them before, but they're PRICEY.

Let me know. I can get you scheduled up pretty quick if you'd like.

I'm not the type to worry about chrome very much. What about installation being included and me being able to drive home afterwards? Will that cause any problem with the seal?

Jacob

Although I am not a glass guy, you should be able to drive it home after it set up for about half an hour. Glass guys generally tell you to not shut the door with the window closed for the 1st 24 hours as to not chance a leak. I have had my glass replaced in my cars and have not had any problems.:)

Yes, that includes install. Yes, you can drive home with it. For the adhesives that we use, Safe Drive Away Time (SDAT) is about 45 minutes. Which is to say that about the time it gets put back together, it should be safe to drive. Which means that the adhesive will have set up enough to retain the windshield in the event of an accident up to 60mph.

I'm sorry, but we cannot install old windshield glass. IN this case, the silicone is a problem for the proper adhesive. In any case, the adhesive manufacturers advise against it because adhesion can be a problem owing to contamination in old glass. That's a safety problem. People have been known to end up in jail for that. Usually because they put in old glass with new adhesive and when the car got in an accident the windshield was ejected and the vehicle occupants were, too.

To be honest, this is all aside from the fact that it practically requires a miracle of god mandated by an act of congress to get a windshield out without breaking it.

• 5 months later...

Hi Scoobywagon... got a question for you. I have a crack in my windshield that somewhere between 12 - 16 inches long I'd say, and is s-shaped. One place I talked to said that they can't repair that, and that I have to replace the whole windshield. Is this true? And why can't they do a repair?

I'd rather not have to spend all the money on a new windshield, and just get the crack repaired. I thought that would be cheaper...

The problem with a long crack like that is that you can't force the resin all the way through the crack. Essentially that means that you can't repair a crack like that because the resin can't de-stress the glass. Now, you could do what's called a stop drill.

A stop drill is not intended as a repair. Rather, it is intended as a band aid until you can replace the windshield. A stop drill is a technique where you drill into the end of the crack. The idea here is to remove the stress at the point of the crack so as to prevent it spreading further. Then, once you've drilled the glass, you fill that with the resin. The risk here is that when you start drilling, the crack can spread rapidly. Then you end up chasing the crack all across the windshield.

Look at it this way...The first repair, the initial chip, will run you $40, say. Now, most shops will cut you a deal on other repairs carried out at the same time. Lets say they give you $20 each for any extras. Now, each stop drill after the first will only cost you $20 rather than 40. That means you are already looking at a $60 bill from the outset. And that assumes that the technician is able to catch the crack on the first try. Each additional attempt at a stop drill will cost you another $20. So, if the technician has to make 2 additional attempts to stop that crack, you're at an even $100 + tax. And you are not going to get any warranty of any kind on that.

Now, here's the flip side. A new windshield will probably set you back about $130 or so. Labor to install it is likely to be around $60-70. So call it $195 + tax. For that you get new glass, warranty, etc.

I don't know where you are, but Washington doesn't have a law regarding cracks in the windshield so long as they are not in the driver's direct line of sight. So what I'd recommend is that you save the money on the repair. Wait until you can afford the replacement.

Good point. What kind of bit do they use for drilling? I have a diamond bit that might do the trick ^_^... lol.

I also saw online that there are some kits you can use yourself that are pretty effective at filling in chips, but they don't usually work on cracks just as you stated.

I guess I'll have to call around and see what kind of prices I can get down here ^_^.

EDIT: Lowest I found today was $185 installed. That's not too bad :D.

Edited by mentis

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of advice for anyone looking to buy automotive glass. Thought this seemed an appropriate place.

When you set about getting glass, there are a couple of things to make sure that you get. The thing to remember here is that price IS NOT everything. In fact, in some ways, price can serve as a red flag for you if you know what you're looking for.

In the US, there are essentially only 3 OE glass manufacturers. They are Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW), formerly known as PPG, Libbey Owens Ford (LOF), formerly known as Pilkington, and Carlite. Carlite manufactures glass almost entirely for Ford, but their glass does occasionally find its way into other makes. PGW and LOF provide the OEM glass for pretty much every other vehicle manufactured in North America. There are other manufacturers, such as Safelite, but they are aftermarket glass. So there are essentially 3 types of glass out there. OEM (comes from the factory, complete with logos and premium price tag), OE (made by the same people) and Aftermarket. As a rule, you'll want to stay away from the aftermarket glass unless you just need to put a piece in a car so you can sell it or something. The aftermarket glass is cheap and does not meet vehicle manufacturer standards for product quality. That can lead to problems as minor as "the glass is just not the same color as the rest" or as severe as "the shape is just not quite right and it doesn't quite fit the hole". So how do you tell?

Well, since there are only three manufacturers, essentially all glass shops pay about the same for the glass itself. So when you call to get a quote, ask them to break down the total. That breakdown should include glass, labor and any moldings/clips/etc. You will notice that most of the shops in your area will be right about the same cost on the glass. The low-ball outliers are the ones using cheap glass and, therefore, should probably be avoided. THen, you need to compare labor rates.

Most shops, again, will be right there together. The high-side outliers will be the ones with high shop rates. That fact gives you room to negotiate with them. The low-side outliers will be the ones who either have low shop rates or make a practice of cutting corners during install. Usually both. Again, these low-side outliers should probably be avoided.

Your windshield is part of the safety features of your car. If it is not installed properly, it could come out in an accident and that is B A D bad.

The other thing to be aware of is the fact that there are LOTS of glass installers out there who only do mobile work. While that is convenient, it also leaves you, the customer, susceptible to some problems you just don't want to have. Make sure that your installer has a shop, even if you are going to have them come to you to do the work. That way, if there is a problem with that glass down the line, you aren't at their mercy for when they want to come deal with you. You can simply take the car to the shop and get the problem taken care of.

For those of you who own newer vehicles or carry comprehensive insurance on your car, talk to your agent about reducing your deductible for comprehensive. That deductible isn't the expensive one in terms of your monthly premium. As an example, the difference between $250 and $50 deductible on my wife's 01 Forester is about $8 every 6 months. Of course, your mileage may very, etc. The worst they can say, though, is "sorry, we can't do that" and you're no worse off than you were. Definitely worth a conversation with your agent.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It's likely to run about $150 or so plus shipping. Just did a quick search and there is a PGW dealer in Reading, PA. They should be able to get it also, as I found your quarter glass in a PGW warehouse in Ontario. That is likely to be a bit more cost-effective than buying it from me and shipping it across the country. Try B&G Glass at 610.372.7868. If they give you a run-around or you just don't want to deal with them, let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting it to you.