Ultimate Subaru Message Board

29x8.50 Swampers on a Brat?

Wirebrush

I'm getting ready to install an SJR 4" lift on my 85 Brat and I'm looking for tires to mount on a set of 15" Pugs to fill the wheel wells. I'd much rather have a tall skinny tire than a shorter, wider tire. According to the tech info the Swamper is 28.5 inches tall. Will these fit with a 4" lift? I expect I'll have to do some cutting on the fenders. Has anyone gone this route?

Thanks.

You're going to need to cut the fenders quite a bit, and beat on the body alot to clear those tires. They will hit on the rear of the front fenderwell ALOT, especially while turning under load, or off camber. The rear is going to need some massaging and beating as well. It all depends on how much you want beat on it, but I can tell you; it's definitely not going to be close to stock anymore.

I have 4.5 inches on an EA81 wagon, and the front took quite a bit of hammering to clear 27s.

i have 29x8.5 tsl on my 4 inch lifted wagon i had to do some minor rolling and a little cutting on the wheel wells so it would not rub when flexing! so yes i think they will work

Are you talking about a 3rd gen wagon, or a 2nd gen? There is quite a bit of difference as the wheel openings on a 2nd gen are smaller than on a 3rd gen.

The 2nd gens will still clear the tires with the same ammount of lift, it just takes alot more swinging with the big hammer.

if i remember right his is 3rd gen.....it is maroon.check it in the offroad rig rollcall thread here.

and i put 235/75/15s on my 4 inch lifted brat.it stuffed roughly.....i should have rolled and pounded more,but alas,i decided to cut the tread on my tires instead:rolleyes:....

IMG_0372.jpg

you can see that there is not much fender room.those tires equated to 28.9 inches.cheers, brian

Are you talking about a 3rd gen wagon, or a 2nd gen? There is quite a bit of difference as the wheel openings on a 2nd gen are smaller than on a 3rd gen.

The 2nd gens will still clear the tires with the same ammount of lift, it just takes alot more swinging with the big hammer.