Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pans back bolts are a pain even with Leagacies. At least there were access holes on my car (96 Brighton) but I had to enlarge them with a Dremel and even then I had trouble putting the back bolts back without cross threading them.

A friend mechanic helped with the gasket replacement on my former 92 Loyale and I'm almost sure he slacked the motor mounts and jacked up the engine about an inch to be able to reach the back bolts.

That's the limit of the help i can give you.

Good luck!

RockRaptor5, in case you choose to use the «jack up the engine method», it might be useful for you to know more precisely what this friend mechanic did.

We had the car on a lift - but this should be possible on jack stands also - and he used a big crow bar to lift the engine (not more than an inch) after loosening the mounts. I think he put a block of wood or something similar between the engine and the cross member to hold the engine up while he took care of the pan's back bolts.

Hope that helps.