Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The heavily modified '84 Turbowagon of Tech Works

It's the ultimate winter-beater, an '84 Turbo with a pushrod 1.8L.

Upgraded turbocharger (dual ceramic ballbearing)

In cab adjustable variable boost controler (11psi).

Bosch blow-off valve

Intercooler with custom heat shield and custom intake piping.

2.5" SS custom downpipe.

2.5" SS mid-pipe and muffler

Stainless steel header and up-pipe.

RS style fiberglass hoodscoop.

5-speed conversion with 3.90 rear diff.

We hope to cage it soon for rally. We're warming up doing the local Winter Autocross Series. In the first event I believe it finished 4th behind a Mazda GTX, an Isuzu Impulse, and a WRX.

See below for more photos.

Any comments?

Keith

post-1927-136027587398_thumb.jpg

Im not the only one!!! Red T-wagons rule! Im planning on all the mods you have done so far (some finished) plus some more extreme ones most people probably wouldnt do. Would you be able to get some pics of the parts you made for it? Yes, lots of detailed pics to drool over! Im very interested in the turbocharger its self, can you tell me more about that?

carfreak85

I will have to check with the designer for the difference in the lengths. He is lecturing to an engineering design class this evening. Can you wait until tomorrow? I'm interested to hear what other mods you have planned, especially the more extreme ones.

Turbone

Again, I'll check with the designer/fabricator to see about the air relief valve. You might be able to see it in the Under the hood shot or Snocross10c.

Here's another view of the header.

Keith

post-1927-136027587439_thumb.jpg

rallyrus

You'd be surprised at how many people think that is snow. It is actually a ceramic wool sheet placed between the stainless steel heat shroud and the intercooler to further isolate it from the heat of the turbo.

Everyone, thanks for all the positive comments. It's Tom's car and he did all the work.

Old School rocks!

Keith

PS I won't tell you that I drive a '97 OBS.

Skip, you been smokin wacky tabacy again, where did he state that is was an EJ18T?? I read in his first post that it is "an '84 Turbo with a pushrod 1.8L." I looked at the web site show at the bottom of his first post and didn't see anything about this car.

Originally posted by Dr. RX

Skip, you been smokin wacky tabacy again, where did he state that is was an EJ18T?? I read in his first post that it is "an '84 Turbo with a pushrod 1.8L." I looked at the web site show at the bottom of his first post and didn't see anything about this car.

In the fourth post on this thread the filename of the pic refers to the engine as an EJ18T.

Though I can't begin to guess about Skip's mental status, I can say I've never seen him smoke the waky tabacy. :)

now for my .0000002 cents

in the turbo pic that looks alot like a saab b.o.v or at least a bosch one

well that and a ceramic bearing turbo would be cool to have

how well does that intercooler work set up like that

seems like it would not get alot of airflow

but then again i did not study the pic very close