Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CV Boots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for durable CV boots? I have an EA-81 wagon that I have replaced the inner front boots several times and if there is something available that would last better I would definitely go with it. I have been following the tread on the two inch lift on the strut and I would like to do something like that to level the car a bit, but with just using the adjustment on my struts and the boot problem I seem to have I would think the boot tearing problem would be even worse. My catalytic converter has lost the stuff that makes it get super hot and I seem to have as bad of a problem on the driver’s side anyway. I guess I could do the front half of a lift and back off the adjustment on the struts to get the angle less severe on the joint, but the joints seem to handle the angle fine, I just don’t get too good of service out of the boots. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for durable CV boots? I have an EA-81 wagon that I have replaced the inner front boots several times and if there is something available that would last better I would definitely go with it. I have been following the tread on the two inch lift on the strut and I would like to do something like that to level the car a bit, but with just using the adjustment on my struts and the boot problem I seem to have I would think the boot tearing problem would be even worse. My catalytic converter has lost the stuff that makes it get super hot and I seem to have as bad of a problem on the driver’s side anyway. I guess I could do the front half of a lift and back off the adjustment on the struts to get the angle less severe on the joint, but the joints seem to handle the angle fine, I just don’t get too good of service out of the boots. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Where have you been getting your CV Boots at?

Jeff

#3 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:24 AM

Where have you been getting your CV Boots at?

Jeff

My local auto parts store. It's a Napa, but I think they sourced them outside of their system. I don't recall the brand, or if they (boot kits) were the same brand each time.

#4 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

My local auto parts store. It's a Napa, but I think they sourced them outside of their system. I don't recall the brand, or if they (boot kits) were the same brand each time.

Those are the ones we use to. Is there anything rubbing it?

Jeff

#5 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Those are the ones we use to. Is there anything rubbing it?

Jeff

No, nothing close. I just ordered another pair of inners, EMPI brand this time, I guess I will see what happens. Thanks for the responses Jeff.
Abe

#6 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

No, nothing close. I just ordered another pair of inners, EMPI brand this time, I guess I will see what happens. Thanks for the responses Jeff.
Abe

No prob. Are you getting the metal banded ones or the glue on ones?

Jeff

#7 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

No prob. Are you getting the metal banded ones or the glue on ones?

Jeff

The banded ones. I'll run a little history by you. The inners were split when I got the car (Summer '05) I replaced / repacked both inners right away and they were in good shape when I put a D/R 5 speed in that winter. The replacement ones lasted another year or so and I replaced them again when I put EA82 knuckles on the car. (early '07)The ones I put on then are junk now. The car sometimes sits for several months at a time, I'm wondering if the boots get stiff and take a set that infulences them tearing when they get flexed again. I think I"ll replace the ball joints this time, Maybe the boots splitting provide incentive to do maintenance / upgrades. Hopefully the EMPI parts will last better. Thanks again.

Abe

Edited by capn_r, 14 January 2009 - 11:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users