Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Boots

capn_r

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for durable CV boots? I have an EA-81 wagon that I have replaced the inner front boots several times and if there is something available that would last better I would definitely go with it. I have been following the tread on the two inch lift on the strut and I would like to do something like that to level the car a bit, but with just using the adjustment on my struts and the boot problem I seem to have I would think the boot tearing problem would be even worse. My catalytic converter has lost the stuff that makes it get super hot and I seem to have as bad of a problem on the driver’s side anyway. I guess I could do the front half of a lift and back off the adjustment on the struts to get the angle less severe on the joint, but the joints seem to handle the angle fine, I just don’t get too good of service out of the boots. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a source for durable CV boots? I have an EA-81 wagon that I have replaced the inner front boots several times and if there is something available that would last better I would definitely go with it. I have been following the tread on the two inch lift on the strut and I would like to do something like that to level the car a bit, but with just using the adjustment on my struts and the boot problem I seem to have I would think the boot tearing problem would be even worse. My catalytic converter has lost the stuff that makes it get super hot and I seem to have as bad of a problem on the driver’s side anyway. I guess I could do the front half of a lift and back off the adjustment on the struts to get the angle less severe on the joint, but the joints seem to handle the angle fine, I just don’t get too good of service out of the boots. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Where have you been getting your CV Boots at?

Jeff

My local auto parts store. It's a Napa, but I think they sourced them outside of their system. I don't recall the brand, or if they (boot kits) were the same brand each time.

Those are the ones we use to. Is there anything rubbing it?

Jeff

No prob. Are you getting the metal banded ones or the glue on ones?

Jeff

The banded ones. I'll run a little history by you. The inners were split when I got the car (Summer '05) I replaced / repacked both inners right away and they were in good shape when I put a D/R 5 speed in that winter. The replacement ones lasted another year or so and I replaced them again when I put EA82 knuckles on the car. (early '07)The ones I put on then are junk now. The car sometimes sits for several months at a time, I'm wondering if the boots get stiff and take a set that infulences them tearing when they get flexed again. I think I"ll replace the ball joints this time, Maybe the boots splitting provide incentive to do maintenance / upgrades. Hopefully the EMPI parts will last better. Thanks again.

Abe

Edited by capn_r