Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dumb question about my ea81 hatch

didn't they come with a coolant overflow tank? the one i just picked up didn't have one, and it just pumps the antifreeze out on the ground in very small amounts.. and in 2 weeks time its about half empty.. it only does it on short drives (5 miles or so)

now i put my ea82 coolant overflow tank in there where the jack goes (since theres no other place for it) but i'm still stumped somewhat.. and i'd like to put my jack back in its spot..

Tony, did you change the rad cap also? They are special for overflow systems.

My Brat does not have an overflow (funny thing just today, I was thinking of adding Ol'Tw's to it )

I do not think it should be dumping that much out of the over flow.

If you fill it to the rim, it will dump some and seek a level and should hold there.

Could you mount the jack in the spare tire?

ahh, well someone has replaced it before me with a standard 13psi cap.. maybe its got the wrong cap on it.. which would make sence if they bought it for an 89 subaru, lol.. ya gotta buy parts for an 83 or 84 to get the right stuff for this car..

guess i need to go check out a cap for an 83 and see what the difference is..

well with the tire in the spare tire area theres no room for the jack.. the handle still fits under the tire tho..

I installed a reserve tank in my EA81 years ago. Didn't have to move anything around under the hood, either.

I got a generic reserve tank kit from Kragen. It was a square tank with a mayonnaise jar sized cap. Came with a mounting bracket that can be easily modified to mount near the jack...mine's been there prolly 10 years now, no problems.

Meeky, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

CIS Subaru is correct about EA81s not having an overflow tank. They are double row radiators with a larger top to allow for expansion compared to EA82s with a single row, smaller top, and overflow tank. If you fill it past the level tab, it'll just spit it out when it gets hot.

A common problem is overfilling the radiator, then refilling with water when it burps. After several cycles of this you end up with diluted antifreeze.

A 13 psi cap is correct.

A overflow tank certainly won't hurt, but, as Skip says, you need a different cap.

i found a place for it over on the passenger side, but thats a long stretch of hose to go that far, lol.. it could also sit behind the ac pump.. but it would rub there and i fear it would spring a leak sometime..

you'll get to see little Junky when i get that windshield from ya Mark.. p.s. my back seat tops are perfect except for a 1/2" tear in one.. :D