Ultimate Subaru Message Board

official build thread.........this is monstaru2

monstaru

alright...you got my gears turning :eek:

so I went downstairs. hmmm....look at that, an empty r160 case, and a ring gear sitting right next to it from my last LSD conversion. first thing, the bolt pattern for the rear cover definitely is symmetrical. so you really could just throw it on upside-down.

but, the pinion gear is off center, in both dimensions. obviously it's near the bottom of the case (presumably why you want to flip it), but it's also off to the right side. so, putting the ring gear on the other side would mean the helical cut on the gears would be the wrong way around. but also the center of the pinion shaft would line up about where the back of the ring gear would be...

I don't think it would work, even with a custom-made gearset. cool idea, but looking at it, I just don't see a way it would work (boy.....I wonder where I put my camera.....)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on turning the diff upside down, no

It has a low sump that is designed to help drain, circulate the oil to the pinion. Then when the pinion is turning, it throws gear oil upward, which hits the case and circulates around. The low sump passageway drains the oil back to it, thus it recirculates the oil. Same on the rear at the ring gear.

Hey Brian, why not look for a Nissan pick up front diff? Cant you get some 4.444s to stuff into one of those?

On a side note, I always thought you could just put the rear diff in the front, no need to do anything special, I swore Ive seen it that way on several rigs, so Im not quite sure why you are trying to flip it :confused: but I could be wrong, I never really looked into it. Good luck!

-Bill

yeah,i realized that too chux.....i just never looked at the case with that in mind ya'know.we get so tuned in to what others have done with their rigs because those are the "standard operating procedures" that we forget to think outside the box.......

and bheinen,if you flipped it upside down you would just need to figure out another thrower system,or keep it at a level just at the splines of the pinion in order to oil.because it is the bearings that need lubed back in there,nothing else.i don't care what the FSM says........i care what practical experience from taking these apart and expirimenting says......

:)cheers, brian

and billy, it does go in with no issues up front,i was talking about using a high pinion for the back.if you look at that last pic....it appears i could stuff it upside down and clear the torsion bar and fuel tank.and give mad clearance.......

alright...you got my gears turning :eek:

so I went downstairs. hmmm....look at that, an empty r160 case, and a ring gear sitting right next to it from my last LSD conversion. first thing, the bolt pattern for the rear cover definitely is symmetrical. so you really could just throw it on upside-down.

but, the pinion gear is off center, in both dimensions. obviously it's near the bottom of the case (presumably why you want to flip it), but it's also off to the right side. so, putting the ring gear on the other side would mean the helical cut on the gears would be the wrong way around. but also the center of the pinion shaft would line up about where the back of the ring gear would be...

I don't think it would work, even with a custom-made gearset. cool idea, but looking at it, I just don't see a way it would work (boy.....I wonder where I put my camera.....)

Edited by monstaru
reply to beastie too

yeah, kinda like this....

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

i only had to turn the front bracket upside down,trim a bit for the pinion to fit....then massage the gas tank with a BFH.........and it fit.

i will be making new axles.which is ok,i always wanted to anyway.cheers, brian

winks...........just for you kid, I'll see what i can do...:grin:there is no flex left,it would break outta there like a jailbird outta the hokie......fast and hard.....

it seems that all of the jabber about the 510's and porsches may pan out.i have wanted to rebuild some axles for a long time.i think now is the time.i think i will probably stick to some u-joints though...............cheers, brian

I'd be interested in seeing what happens to the axles if left like that. Whatever it is, I'm sure you wouldn't have to wait long.

no?ok.....i'll gather some parts,and we shall see.

re-build i guess i should have said.......................

cheers, brian:)

i don't think any axle can take that angle coming right off the diff.

O

/ . \

| . |

the "o" means diff

the / \ are axles

the | | are tires

Edited by monstaru

Hey Brian, heres an idea for the axles, my 76 4wd wagon has double u joints with slip yokes, see here

02-01-09_2016.jpg

You could prolly have something like that made to work, I could sell you these so you could have them lengthend and just use regular Brat axles on my rig, if you want. lemme know eh?

-Bill

HOLY CRAP....nice :eek::banana::grin:

Subaru shouldve stuck with the U joint setup IMO, prolly woulda worked for the front on the DOJ side of the axles too. I cant imagine brakin one of those things unless you land on a pile of rebar and it goes through your ujoint.

-Bill

yeah exactly!! Looks like a pretty strong setup

well, i get to work today.at least i can think about something else for a change.yay,concrete!:rolleyes:

i got the u-joint mania........keep thinking about those damn rear axles.

well, this week will be slow as i picked up a suzuki driveshaft in good shape to hack up to make another driveshaft.i should have all of the suzuki flanges i need now.

after a look last night , the u joints are amazingly close in size, so i will see if subie u-joints fit into suzuki flanges.if not i will take a trip to brown bearing and see what they say about it.

if they are bearers of bad news i will just cut and weld.cheers, brian

got some mounting for the subframe done today,cut some mounting tabs for the front,also cut the "z" pieces which i do not know if i will be able to use.DOH!!

also been doing some legwork for the rear axles.findings are interesting so far.cheers, brian