Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what size winch

RdNkBrt

The actual ratio is 1.5 of vehicle weight. I had a 4500 on mine and used it more to pull others out of trouble. Brought several bigger rigs back onto their wheels from their roofs. Neccessary equipment for the winch, snatch block, gloves, tree-saver strap, clevis' of various sizes and 20' tow straps. A couple lengths of chain are good as well.

8K winch is too big and heavy for most Subarus. Especially if you have it permanently mounted.

technically since a snatchblock doubles the pull, a 2500 pd winch would work well with 2 snatchblocks...... a comealong works very well in almost all stiuations though.with some treesaver straps and a coule of two straps you can't go wrong.cheers, brian
Good idea, but, snatch blocks basically cut your cable length in half. A 2500 only carries about 50 feet of cable. You get the idea.

I have a 2000# on the buggy with a snatch block. Never had to use it for real. Playing around it pulls me up hills just fine.

They have 3000# ones at Harbor Freight for not much money. Add a block to that and you should be ok.

I have steered away from the wireless remote ones because I think when you actually needed it the battery would be dead...

A good quality come-a-long and some straps should be all you really need and don't weigh as much?

My .02

a 20 foot 17,000lbs tow strap and a com along got my hatch out when i sunk it in some nasty poop mud the other day, but of coarse the lifted wagon drove around in it without any problems.

ive thought of a 4Klbs winch with receivers front/rear but with the straps, snatch blocks, and some gloves and ive been good thus far.

I have a 4500 on mine. It made my front drop about an inch (with a lot beefier bumper too) but it was permanent mounted. I only had one time when it didn't work too well, and that was because my starter locked up, and I couldn't get the brat started becasue the incline was too steep, I rolled back and wedged a small tree behind my front tire :) a friend cut that tree out but I had to have another friend winch me clear to the top of the hill before I could get the brat started... his winch/alt were smokin by the time I got to the top.....

alrighty, so which would be better; a winch mounted to the front bumper which weighs the front down and inch or so, or a portable winch i can store in the hatch or on the roof?? :confused:

With a portable you'd be able to use it on ANY vehicle and ANYWHERE. Kinda nice when you have to move an unmovable vehicle and have the portable available. As for storing, I'd be willing to bet it'd sprout legs and vanish if stored on the roof and be susceptible to the weather unless in a cargo box.

yeah, i have always used a come along or redneck ingenuity to get out of stupidity ridden situations.

always wanted a winch:lol:.............of course the winch situations i have been in have had over 150 foot of cable and easily over 10,000# winches as well.

so i am just trying to draw on the experience i have had with very heavy machinery...mainly 2.5 ton trucks and above.when i was in, we had to learn how to utilize "treesavers" and such to get our humvees out of sticky situations.

i have to admit my experience is not with smaller vehicles,but the same principles should apply.but good point ken, as i did not realize smaller winches may have as little as 50ft of cable.cheers, brian

Good idea, but, snatch blocks basically cut your cable length in half. A 2500 only carries about 50 feet of cable. You get the idea.
Edited by monstaru

I had a 3000lbs winch from Harbor Freight that I bought for $70.00 that was on my 84 Hatch. It has a wireless remote and it has been great for pulling myself out of anything not too extreme. Typically I used it for getting out of ditches, snow drifts, etc. On my lifted 86 GL Wagon I am going to mount receiver hitches in front and rear so that I can use the winch on either end. For $70, I think it's an awesome winch. I rarely pull out other vehicles, otherwise I'd go with a larger winch.

Pic here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G8TtLTTJgVvw-HSQv1bc_w?feat=directlink

Edited by bobs97c5

I had a 3000lbs winch from Harbor Freight that I bought for $70.00 that was on my 84 Hatch. It has a wireless remote and it has been great for pulling myself out of anything not too extreme. Typically I used it for getting out of ditches, snow drifts, etc. On my lifted 86 GL Wagon I am going to mount receiver hitches in front and rear so that I can use the winch on either end. For $70, I think it's an awesome winch. I rarely pull out other vehicles, otherwise I'd go with a larger winch.

I have the same winch which was more of a joke when I first mounted it... Looks neat and it's light weight... the only time I really tried to use it to pull a fellow ru up a huge rock, it basically melted the wiring it came with to the frame of the car... I still haven't gotten around to adding larger gauge wiring... :-\