Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Camera Phone. 91 SS 5spd I bought it off of a local shop. they didn't have a title, told me radiator was bad and Head gaskets were failing. they had done a carbon test. so i gave them $100 dollars and threw a battery in it.. and drove it home. I wrote a threatening letter to the previous owner telling him that this vehicle was abandoned on my property and I either wanted storage and it would be towed as an abandoned vehicle so the guy got me a release of interest.. and I started buying parts. I bought the Subaru overhaul gasket, Water pump, timing belt, drive belts, Plugs, oil, filter,

All I have to do now is clear out the interior of its dampness, Replace the sunroof (cause it doesn't work.) Find a new headliner cause mine looks like poo. get a radiator and get the heads machined. (oh and shifter bushings.)

my plans currently are to get it DD able With a short shifter, and someone is giving me there old First Gen STi Exhaust system so I think I'm gonna play with modifying that.... probably a BOV and a IC, and a turbo timer some were down the line.

nice score

bet you'll have some real fun with it

My 91 SS is one of the nicest rides I've had.

Reminds me of a 450 SL I once owned.

As for the sunroff

please read this

They leak is most likely due to bad / deteriorated gaskets

under the guide rails.

This subject is covered in detail over on Legacy Central.

Which is a great source of info on these gems.

regarding the sun roof........I had a VW some time back. The sun roof began leaking on that, or the tract drain hose/tubing got clogged with gunk. I don't know which. I could never get it to stop leaking, so I gave up on using it. I used clear cellophane wide packaging tape to seal the entire sun roof edging to the car roof. That worked great to keep the rain out. Recommend going this route permanently, or until you can fully repair.

Have fun with your $100 project car. I had a 91 Leggie L Wagon. It was a great running car. The 2.2 motor runs forever!

The factory sunroofs on these cars do not totally seal, by design they all leak slightly. The water that gets by the seals runs down to the bottom of the car via 4 drains (one in each corner) Very common that these drains will get clogged so the water has no where to go except into the car. Usually you will find the front ones are the culprits, they exit behind the front inner fenders in the mudflap area. clean these out real good and you probably will be ok. Great find for the money...

New (junkyard) Sunroof installed. Cleared the drain lines. and put some anaerobic sealant on the drain lines, as well as the seal around the roof. it works well. I don't know about the leaking cause the interior is in minor state of disrepair. It goes up, It opens, with a little coaxing. (the seal seams to be jamming a little bit.) but once past that it opens and closes fine. I also Pulled the Dash out. I'm going to replace all the bulbs, as well as all the heater bulbs. and I'm getting a new plastic cover for the gauge cluster. I also got the drivers window to roll down. the regulator seems to have some broken teeth. I'm gonna get the radiator next as I'm gonna take my serious time rebuilding the engine. its getting a coat of Blue paint on the block and the intake. And the Exhaust is getting a thermal wrap. because I want to make sure that I keep as much heat away from this engine as I can.

I also had a complete Cat back STI exhaust donated to me from a friend (a friend with a 360) I am going to try to make something work between the two. I have not had time to look to see if it will match or if it will even work but I thought I would give it a shot, of course if nothing else works I can cut the exhaust off and just use the muffler cause its shiny and sounds good.