Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 heated mirrors into a '96 OBW

fairly certain it's there Andy. i know people that have added the heated mirrors to later models. and i know the heated seat wiring is all there in all 97 leg's, so i'd imagine the wiring harness in that 96 is the same. wonder if there's a simple way to check for it and where it would be?

Recently my wife broke the passanger door mirror on our 98 Leggie OBW. It is the Limited edition with heated door mirrors. I had no luck finding a used heated one in a wrecking yard, so had to settle for a non heated model. It is just one wire in the factory wiring system that heats the mirror. I don't know if all Leggies are prewired or not. Prolly best to pull off the door panel to look at the wiring. See if a single wire inside the door panel is not wired. That should be the one that you need to hook up.

I can't remember where the switch is on the dash, or how exactly the heated mirrors are switched on. That may be an issue as to find the switch.

• 4 months later...

Hello all I am new to this fourm. I have a 99 Outback. I found a 98 Outback in the Junk yard near my house and it had heated seats and heated mirrors and heated wipers. If I take the seats & mirrors out do I have the plugs for the switches? I have already taken the seats and the switches out. I am having trouble getting the screws out of the mirrors. The screws on the mirrors are tuff! I will get them soon! Do I have the plugs for the seats under the carpet? I cant seem to find them. I have had the doors off and replaced the speakers so maybe the wires for the mirrors are their somewhere. If anyone can help me. I would be on cloud 9 cause where I live the heated Mirrors alone would be great!!! I live in Erie Pa and the winters are very harsh!! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you grossgary

I have installed the mirrors and the switch. I still cant find the wiring. I will know this weekend. I am removing some of the tape to see if the wires are hidden under the tape. I traced the wires that I need to a wiring harness behind a trim panel.

So you didn't find any wires in place?

I'm going to be doing the same thing to my Legacy - installing heated seats, mirrors, and fog lights so I'm curious what will be there or not.

Post back what you find and I'll do the same, but mine probably won't be for awhile, I have a few other more important projects in the way.

Hello all I am new to this fourm. I have a 99 Outback. I found a 98 Outback in the Junk yard near my house and it had heated seats and heated mirrors and heated wipers. If I take the seats & mirrors out do I have the plugs for the switches? I have already taken the seats and the switches out. I am having trouble getting the screws out of the mirrors. The screws on the mirrors are tuff! I will get them soon! Do I have the plugs for the seats under the carpet? I cant seem to find them. I have had the doors off and replaced the speakers so maybe the wires for the mirrors are their somewhere. If anyone can help me. I would be on cloud 9 cause where I live the heated Mirrors alone would be great!!! I live in Erie Pa and the winters are very harsh!! Thanks again!

I know just how tight those screws holding the door mirror on can be. To replace the mirror on my wife's car, I finally had to resort to using a ratchet with a philips screw driver tip, then pushing in on the handle as hard as I could to apply pressure against the screw head, I then used vice grips to rotate the screw. Otherwise, just working with a screw driver alone, you will round off the head of the philips screw.

I did find the wires I needed inside the Car but they did not lead to the door. So I took out the wires from the Junk Car wire harnes and put them in the wire harnes from the mirror to the wire harnes inside the Car. So I think Subaru just swaps the Harnes from the Door to the Car. It would be the easiest way to do it. Man it was a Pain in the butt to get those screws out in the mirrors but I did it with a Impact screw driver. It was also a Pain Fishing those wires into those rubber boots. So No wires lead form the doors to the wire harnes inside the Car. But the Car has them inside the harnes. They are Green and White and Green and Red. I was So Happy when they heated up!! Now I need to wire the seats in since I have the 3 cig plugs and I dont need 3 plugs. Would rather have the seats does anyone have the Wiring diagram for the seats. I know I dont have the wires under the console. Like I found on all the Junkers I rip apart. Thanks and I hope you get yours wired up let me know. I do have picks of the wire harness if you wanna see them.