Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap under way

got a few little things done tonight and sent out the harness.

intake manifold and gaskets installed and all hooked up with the intake air box and such. also fit in the lower rad hose which is one from a XT6 lower and it fits perfect, as well as the single port exhaust manifold bolted on so i can build a new exhaust system.

DSC_0559.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0561.jpg

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if the stock skid plate doesn't fit ill make one that will protect the oil pan and tranny diff.

ya i just need to figure out what fuel lines are what so i can hook them up, put some hose clamps on the upper rad hose, install the SPFI F/P, wrap the heater hoses, and install the harness once i receive it. so ill finish up the fuel pump this weekend so i can see what im doing. hose clamps and heater hoses tomorrow night, then pull the dash this weekend as well so i can do a nice job installing the wiring.

i don't have to pull the dash but i want to make it all clean looking so i don't catch my feet with the wiring. also install my new Hella 500's and wire them the same time.

Edited by The Scooby

lol ya i know but i can still pull it off right now, everything is really just there to mock up an exhaust, the front y-pipe will be replaced with a un-equal length one later on so i have the subaru rumble.

and hey chux do you mind snapping a few pictures of what fuel lines you hooked where, i think i know what one is the feed but im not too sure about the others.

thanks in advance

well, my 92 will look a little different....

I had to experiment to find the high-pressure line on the '86. jumpered the pump to come on, and had a buddy watch to see where it came out (IIRC it was the one down on the frame rail). that goes in the driver's side fuel rail on the EJ22 (don't forget a good FI-grade filter, my ej22 came with one, so that was easy). than the line fro the passenger side fuel rail and pressure regulator goes to the other line with decent hose clamps. and the third is the vent, and should be hooked up to the carbon canister.

still need to figure out a way to secure the lower part of the rad, mount the new flexalite cooling fan and fan controller and wire that up, put in the fuel pump, hook of the fuel lines, then fill it with coolant and install the wiring.

looks like it will be about 2 weeks from now until i receive my harness back, so its just the little stuff i want to do right now like the bumper, wire in the lights, etc etc.

well made a run to the parts store this morning, was able to wire up the flex fan and controller so thats good to go, also finished filling the cooling system and purging out any air. for the fuel lines in the engine bay sorted and a adapter put together out of some brass fittings for the fuel return.

EJ return is 5/16's, EA carbed is 1/4, so i got that all sorted and hooked up with a EJ fuel filter.

went to install the SPFI pump and the outlet lines between carbed pump and FI pump are the same, but inlet is totally different. carbed is 5/16th's, SPFI pump is like 3/8th's so it looks like im going back to the parts store again so i can sort this out and get it in and wired. then maybe try to tackle wiring up the 500's on the front bumper.

just hard to be motivated when its snowing outside.

the kidney plate, yes i know, i pulled it and cleaned it up and put some new RTV on it, so it will be find, i know that subaru went to a updated ones thats metal that is less prone, but if prepped and new RTV ill be good for atleast another 30K, or when i replace me clutch again.

actually it will fit, the 95+ fans with the plastic sourround is the slimest and it will fit. but i wanted to run just 1 indipendant fan with controller so i can turn it on and off for water crossings and such.

also i think that with the fan on the front is kinda hidden and it cleans up the engine bay, as well as gives you more room to work on the front of the engine when its in the car without having to remove the fans

got the fuel pump in, wired, and new feel line made with some brass adapters.

more pictures to come.

Edited by The Scooby

didn't get all that much done this last sunday 1/25/09 because when i was on my way to the parts store and to drop my niece off at her moms house there was a little incident that then made me sit in the back of a police car for almost 2 hours.

anyways today the weather wasn't snowing like yesterday and after the detective stopped by to get some pictures and such i was able tog et out and get the brass fittings i needed to hook up the SPFI fuel pump, as well as the fuel return lines, wire in the fan, as well as get almost all the wiring done for the 500's.

DSC_0596.jpg

DSC_0595.jpg

DSC_0593.jpg

DSC_0592.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0589.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

lol, well i was heading into town when a guy cut me off, causing me to slam on my brakes so i honked.

he flipped out and was flipping me the bird and such, well long story short he pulled a gun and pointed it at me and my wife who was sitting shotgun in my impreza, when i tried to make a left hand turn to ditch him he cut acrost 2 lanes before i was able to turn.

ends up he works for a county jail, is going to lose his job for assault in the second degree, right now he is locked up awaiting sentencing in seattle. im pressing charges. the detective listened to the 911 call and said i couldn't have handled it any better

we where brought out at gun point in the snow, i had to lye on the ground while being hand cuffed. once they got the story he was taken in for booking and i was let go with all my belongings.

after that i just went home. didn't feel like crawling under my car while it was still snowing to install my fuel pump and such.

Edited by The Scooby

damn i wouldent feel like doing much eather after a day like that. makes you think twice about some people i always tell my buddy when im riding with him that its not his driving im woried about its the other yahoos on the road im glad everything went ok and no one was hurt. im really likeing the swap all the picks are really gonna help when i get my engine ready to drop in my coupe

ya it was pulse raising to say the least, but i kept my head and everything worked out.

ya i take ALOT of pictures when i do stuff like this, for one, so i remember what i did, how i did it, and how it was stock, so if i ever have to redo something on another car i have the visual aids.

thus far this thread has only seen maybe 1/3rd of the total pictures ive taken.

ya i take ALOT of pictures when i do stuff like this, for one, so i remember what i did, how i did it, and how it was stock, so if i ever have to redo something on another car i have the visual aids.

thus far this thread has only seen maybe 1/3rd of the total pictures ive taken.

I try to do the same thing. My memory isn't good enough to remember exactly what the car looked like when I got it. I have almost two gigs of pictures for my red wagon.

Your swap is inspiring to say the least. I just wish the motor was a little more narrow so it would fit easily in the empty gen 1 engine bay I have available.

Edited by carfreak85