Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap under way

well atleast i got a few more things done. was able to find a belt to drive the ALT since i don't have power steering i had to get a stock belt, and adjust the alt all the way down, then cut down the belt until the ends touched with the alt all the way loose.

got to schucks, and found a belt that will work, so if anyone else out there will do this swap im going to do a full write up with all the pictures and part numbers for what ive used thus far for my swap.

for now the belt number is 4040275 goodyear gatorback.

also got my bash/skidd plate bolted up in the front, still need to ether trim it down and keep bending it so i can bolt it up in the stock location, or make some kind of rear support bracket so it will still protect the exhaust, diff, and oil pan.

DSC_0597.jpg

DSC_0598.jpg

DSC_0599.jpg

Edited by The Scooby

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For thos who have done the ej swap. Is that what you half to do in order to run the fan. Mount it on the other side of the radiator faceing the bumper. From the looks of it there isnt much room there where they normaly go.

have you looked at, oh, any of the EJ swap threads? yea. the EJ engine is a bit longer than the EA, so there is no longer quite enough room between it and the radiator.

i know the hose looks a little kinked, but its just the picture, its not bad at all.

also the fan and controller, i know that the wiring you are building will have all that, but this is alot easier to mount and wire then wiring a stock fan in, or even the fan i have to the stock wiring. i got the fan and controller brand new for free so if it doesn't work out then i can always switch to something else.

i know the hose looks a little kinked, but its just the picture, its not bad at all.

also the fan and controller, i know that the wiring you are building will have all that, but this is alot easier to mount and wire then wiring a stock fan in, or even the fan i have to the stock wiring. i got the fan and controller brand new for free so if it doesn't work out then i can always switch to something else.

I don't use the stock relay/wiring/fans. just the one wire from the ECU to control a standard relay. it's exactly the same to wire in as your controller, except it doesn't need to be mounted anywhere. and it can't fail (I used a couple of those underhood controllers, and the road grime caused them to fail).

Too all those out there wanting to do the EJ swap just remember you cannot put standard fans on the front of the radiator with standard wiring. They blow the wrong way! :lol: You need to get fans made to fit to the front and blow the right way. Some std fans can just have their wiring switched (this although can cause bearing problems and may not work effectively as blade design etc) but some cannot be run like that.

i hope so, i might have a LSD swapped into her by then, mainly im just waiting for the wiring, thats the big thing, that and to drive it for a few hours first to make sure everything will be ok.

but i dunno its looking like i won't recieve the wiring until next week.

Those pics bring back good memories chux! hahaaha.

It is good fun once you figure out what your doing. Chop chop chop!

the first few were good fun. they're getting a bit tedious these days (I've got no less than 8 subaru bulkhead harnesses in my house right now :eek: )

AHHHHHHHHHH I CAN'T WAIT

yesterday i was bored and the weather was great so i went and pulled off my front bumper, finish welded and dressed all the welds down. then gave it a new coat of paint and got it remounted last night. i need to get the Hella's mounted and reaimed and that will be done.

then this week i still need to fab up a exhaust yet and that will be it.

matt does your harness come with the O2 plugs intact so i need to weld in a bung for it? if so that works because i just did that the other day for ************s and giggles.

need to collect come more pipe from work today as well as a resonator, i got my muffler so i just need to run the piping and call it a day.