Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VW + Subaru = Veedubaroo

lostinthe202

Well I was waiting until I had some more pics of stuff to share, but since ya'll are gettin antsy...

First off, we FINALLY got some snow. Here I am reading the "I can't wait for spring" thread in off-topic and I'm all like, "man we haven't gotten any.... hey what's that?"

snowfarm2.jpg

Of course it's only like a piddly 3 inches and it'll be gone in a day or two I'm sure.

Anyway..

Last weekend was a total bust. I spent the whole time doing chores and chasing down parts none of which I actually got. Grrr (not you bratman, other parts :) ) Most notably, no trans. I decided to hold off on that trans I was going to go look at yesterday. The guy wants 200 for it, he's not budging on price and it doesn't come with any shift linkage or trim. To be fair, he would've thrown it in, but he says he doesn't have it anymore. The only reason I want to get my hands on one now is so that I can start making the adapter. I want to leave the push-button in the car to help with measuring and fit up of the engine. I decided that if I haven't found another trans by the time I get paid, I'll bite the bullet and buy it. I'm sure I could find one farther north, but by the time I factor gas and the time it will take to get there (and maybe multiple trips if I strike out the first time) then $200 isn't looking so bad.

So, plans for the weekend...

The next thing I'm going to do is whip out the ol' angle gauge and hang the TDI from my hoist at the stock 20* and dangle it in the engine bay as close to the trans as I can get. One clearance issue I already know I'm going to have is the oil-pan clearing the engine cross-member. The EA motor has that little 2" section of bell-housing that pushes the oil-pan forward. The TDI doesn't, and I doubt I have the room up from to move the engine far enough forward. But that's part of why I'm going to dangle the engine, so I can find that stuff out.

Once I know what kind of clearance I'll need for the oil-pan, I'll make the decision whether or not to modify or remake the cross-member. It will also depend on what the engine mounts need to look like. Fortunately, this TDI motor is used in like every vehicle VW made during this period so there is a virtual plethora of mounting points on the exhaust/intake side. The other side is a bit more restrictive, but it will be the side tilted up so I should have an easier time measuring and fabricating there.

I did finally get a good look at the other motor. It does, thankfully, have the turbo and other miscellaneous sensors and whatnot that I'm missing from this motor. I was glad to find that out, because if that stuff was missing, the budget for this build would have to increase significantly! This week I should be pulling that motor from it's current location and bringing it home.

Also, been thinking about flywheels, clutches and starters. Since the power output of the TDI is more comparable to the EJ's then the EA's, I though using a 2.2 or 2.5 setup would be better. I think I read in one of the various EJ conversion posts that a re-drilled EJ flywheel is used, that means it will fit in the bell-housing of the EA trans. I haven't compared starter power yet, but if the EJ starter will fit in the EA trans, I'll use that as well assuming it's of a comparable size to the TDI starter.

OK, well that's about it for now.

More when I got more.

Will-

Edited by lostinthe202
corrected myself :)

Yeah you need to make sure you get the shift linkage etc. as well for that tranny. Again I have shift linkage too but it's another one of those things I'm really not willing to part with:-\sorry! And how bout that snow!! We are supposed to get 12-15" tomorrow! Fun fun! It just means I'll be out doing some plowing again on my wheeler! Good luck on getting parts and like I said, as soon as I find a box big enough, I'll send out that rear diff!! Oh yeah and are you definitely going to the car show in Carlisle?

for what its worth, the Subaru starters are the same on all EA and EJ cars all the way up through first gen Outbacks, I know the starter on my 97 OB is identical in sizee and shape to my other EA starters.

Its good thing you got the turbo and other stuff with the other motor, I know that the turbo alone costs upwards of 2 Grand from VW :eek: Blew one up in my Mom's Jetta once :-\

-Bill

Yeah you need to make sure you get the shift linkage etc. as well for that tranny.

I'm not as worried about finding the shift linkage. A low mileage trans is harder to find, I've come across a few 5spd d/r's but they all had like a million miles on them so I didn't want them. I'm sure I can go back and get the stuff anytime. Of course now that I've put that in print the yards will probably crush them...

Oh yeah and are you definitely going to the car show in Carlisle?

I'm going to register, as far as whether I'll actually be able to go, I unfortunately won't know that until closer to the date. One of the projects I am heavily involved in at work is this and the competition is in early June so if the baja car is not finished before Carlisle I probably will need to stick around.

for what its worth, the Subaru starters are the same on all EA and EJ cars all the way up through first gen Outbacks, I know the starter on my 97 OB is identical in sizee and shape to my other EA starters.

Its good thing you got the turbo and other stuff with the other motor, I know that the turbo alone costs upwards of 2 Grand from VW Blew one up in my Mom's Jetta once

That is good info. I read on the TDIclub that the starter for a TDI is 1.4kw which, I think, is the same as the EA and thus the EJ, so that should be fine.

And yeah, I was relieved to see the turbo, I was NOT looking forward to having to shell out for that one. I also got the wiring loom and the ECU and really everything I need to being able to run it. The only thing I'm still trying to locate is the electric gizmo that controls the throttle at the pedal.

OK, made a bit of progress today.

First off let me say, Nice Day! It was 60 degrees and sunny, perfect for working outside. Stella found it a bit hot though and decided to stay in the shade...

Stella_Under_Tractor.jpg

Last week I realized that I don't need a transmission to get the points for the trans side of the adapter, I could also use the motor. So I went down to the local JY and scored a block out of an EA82 GL wagon for $10. I took the block into work and threw it up on the mill to get my points...

DSC_0204.jpg

Then today I hauled the TDI out from the garage...

VW_On_Tractor.jpg

... and dangled it in the engine bay to have a look around...

VW_In_Bay.jpg

( I know the second tractor pic was really unnecessary, but I just love taking pictures of that thing!)

SO, the good news is: I won't have to modify the engine cross-member. I'm kind of glad as I didn't really know what I was going to do with the steering rack. The bad news: I had the engine at the 50* that a TDI equipped Vanagon runs at and I will still need every inch of a 6" lift to get the hood closed and even that probably wouldn't be enough. I don't really want this thing to be way up in the air. I'm not a super lift kind of guy. 4 inches is as high as I want to go. So one other avenue of investigation will be to see if I can tilt the trans up a bit in the rear without making the u-joints work too hard. (I could probably tilt the diff to better the aim in the back, but not much I could do in the front.) It's really the front few inches of the TDI that are getting in the way so if I could angle the works a bit more that would help. So hopefully between the two I can close the hood without having to make a "power hump". But if that's the way it is, that's the way it is!

Also, the radiator will have to move (no biggie) as will the AC condenser (it will follow the rad if I decide to keep it) and I will probably move the cross-member that the hood latch is attached to. The TDI fits, but only just, so it would mean pulling the engine to change the belts in front which I don't like, so I'll reroute that cross-member and use hood pins and make a grille or modify the existing one (it's already broken so what the hey) to fit in the new space.

Engine mounts don't look like they'll be too much of a problem, nor the exhaust. On the passenger's side, there is plenty of room to route stuff and I will probably use the existing engine mount bolt hole in the cross-member. On the driver's side I should be able to make an engine mount that will bolt to the "frame" section that the engine cross-member bolts too without much fuss.

I will probably also use the existing air filter box. I may need to put in some heat shielding though as the exhaust is pretty darn close to everything over there.

So now that I have both portions of the adapter, I'll do some CAD work and draw the adapter and cut out another template to check for fit.

OK, so I've been thinking over my flywheel and clutch options. The ratings for the TDI motor I've got (thanks to Zyewdall) are 90hp and 150ft/lbs of torque with the peak being at a whopping 1800 rpms (this puppy's getting some BIG shoes). I don't know what the stock numbers of an EA82 are, but I'm sure they are less so I want to beef up my clucth a little bit.

From what I've read on EA to EJ swaps (a similar power increase) a modified EA flywheel is used when an EA trans is used. I assume this is because either the diameter of the EJ flywheel is different or the tooth count is different or something that would make an EJ flywheel not jive with an EA trans?

So what would be the combo to use? Numbchux's writeup of the swap mentions using an XT6 pressure plate with the rest of the parts being from a 4x4 EA kit. How 'bout the disc itself? People think a 4x4 EA disc is adequate, does an EJ disc fit diameter of the PP and FW and do the splines match the trans? That is homework for the week!

Whatever combination I use, adapting it to the TDI crank could pose a problem. The TDI has a 6 bolt pattern with an offset for timing. As you all know, the EA and EJ have 8 bolts. I did a quick overlay in Autocad of the two and I'm doubtful that I will be able to re-drill a flywheel and still have enough meet in the center. My next JY trip will involve getting a VW flywheel and comparing it to the EA one. The TDI has the starter mounted on the engine side (I think, I could be wrong) so maybe I'll end up doing that, I dunno yet.

More when I got more!

Will-

Looking good! So yeah slap a lift in there, and also maybe do something with the hood, and see about tilting the tranny. You'll get it! Obviously you're into it so that's the hardest part is getting your mind into it!! I'm also extremely jealous of your garage!! I want one! It's sweet that you have a CAD to use!! Sweet pics and keep 'em coming! Looking forward to seeing more progress! Oh and I'm still waiting on a box. I think my mother in law has one so I just have to wait for her to bring it to me!!!

I think it would look cool as s**t with half the motor stickin through the hood with the Turbo stickin out right next to it :banana: But Im kinda a Mad Max fan :grin: and that would fit the bill to a T :grin::grin:

-Bill

That would look cool!! Kind of like an old blown muscle car, but instead it's a turbocharged VW motor in an old school suby!!!:banana::banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry there haven't been any updates, I was out of town last weekend and busy with house fix-it stuff most of this weekend. I did have time to zip into town and pick up the other motor. This one has the turbo on it as well as all the other sundry electrical items that are missing from the other motor. I also got the motor mounts as well as the radiator and electrical fan, the intercooler that was used in the previous project, and assorted plumbing and electrical. All in all, a productive day parts-wise.

Here's a pic of the motor after I got it home with the crazy gearbox gizmo from it's last home...

Gear_Box.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Those engines were worth some serious money.

Selling them was a smarter thing to do rather than taking on a project like this.

When you do a different manufacturer engine swap you want to use cheap and plentiful engines hopefully with a big aftermarket parts offering. None of this really applies to the TDI.

Don't know what he got for the car or if he sold them both - but I think it'd be the way to go.

Forgot to post something to close this thread.

Yes, I sold the car and one of the engines. I'm hanging on to the other one for the time being though I will probably turn it into a dual sport motorcycle.

I decided not to pursue the project for few reasons.

First is that I just didn't have time to work on it. working on cars is one hobby I have, but it's not really my main hobby. So that coupled with a 3 hour daily commute...

Second is that it was looking pretty difficult to fit that engine in without a major lift ( 6" or more) and I wasn't really after a monster car. I wanted a better mileage 4x4 and any gains I would get by the diesel engine would be sucked up by the increased surface area of a lift, the improper gearing of the available trans, and the big tires needed to try to compensate for the gearing.

I'm happy to share any knowledge I've learned about the project with anyone who feels like taking it on.

Will-

Forgot to post something to close this thread.

Yes, I sold the car and one of the engines. I'm hanging on to the other one for the time being though I will probably turn it into a dual sport motorcycle.

that is too bad, you were doing some ground breaking stuff.

that engine is awesome but probably weighs more than even a gassed up KLR. doesnt mean you cant do something 2 wheeled with it, but it will be a WIDE HEAVY FAST street bike you wouldnt want on anything rougher than a gravel road. i wonder if a baker 6sp would hold up to the vw motor.

or for your 4x4 you could always stick it in some sort of suzuki since there are adapters made.

Edited by 970subaru

that is too bad, you were doing some ground breaking stuff.

Got'sta pick yer battles. This really isn't that bad of a project if someone is able to weld and machine (or has the money to pay people) and has the time, space, and inclination to peck away at it.

that engine is awesome but probably weighs more than even a gassed up KLR. doesnt mean you cant do something 2 wheeled with it, but it will be a WIDE HEAVY FAST street bike you wouldnt want on anything rougher than a gravel road. i wonder if a baker 6sp would hold up to the vw motor.

or for your 4x4 you could always stick it in some sort of suzuki since there are adapters made.

Took me too literally, I meant that I will probably sell/trade the TDI for a dual sport motorcycle.

Will-