Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Single Range Trans Ratios?

I've got a push-button trans that is out of a mystery vehicle. It's currently in an '88 GL-10 which has a 3.7 rear diff (as it should). I have my doubts that 0the trans is also a 3.7, but really I have no idea. For all I know, all push-buttons are 3.7.

All the tranny charts I find are for the dual-range trans. Is there one for the single range stuff? Or failing that, is there a general rule for the push-button variety?

Thanks!

Will-

hopefully you can follow along:

ALL 4WD

A 3.545 39/11

B 1.947 37/19

C 1.366 41/30

D 0.972 35/36

E 0.780 32/41

R 3.416 41/26/12

DUAL RANGE

H 1.000 34/34

L 1.592 23/14 X 25/19 *1

L 1.196 20/22 X 25/19

FRONT REDUCTION GEAR

3.900 39/10

3.700 37/10 *3

REAR REDUCTION GEAR

3.700 37/10

3.900 39/10 *2

*1 For Station Wagon

*2 For MPFI model

*3 for TURBO model

all info from '85 fsm section 3-1 p. 8

looks like 3.9 SINGLE range is possible

if hte rear diff is 3.7 why wouldn't the trans be?

I have a single range PT4WD trans and it's a 3.7...or so I was told when i got it. you need one?

The rear diff is a 3.7 but this car left the factory as an auto and the PO put a 5spd pushbutton in and lets just say that I have my doubts about his knowledge of all things subaru. He had no clue what the trans came out of.

I'm not going to be using it, I'll be using a 3.9 5spd D/R setup, but I want to try and identify it for whoever will be using it after me:)

I haven't pulled it out yet, I should be doing that this weekend, when I do what will help me identify it? I think bratman18 mentioned to me that turbo axles have a different spline count then N/A cars so if the splines indicate a turbo trans (I doubt the PO had the ability to replace the stub axles) then, if I read subiemech85's chart right, that would make it a 3.7 because all turbo trans regardless of type are 3.7?

On dry pavement can you stick it in 4wd and pull it back out? If it comes out while driving, then its the same diff ratio as the rear diff. If it doesn't you'll need to find some gravel and lean on that shifter pretty hard :)

No can do, there is no engine in the car. Thanks for the tip though!

Thanks!

Will-

• 3 weeks later...

Well, no further info. I searched and searched to no avail for a single range trans chart (as I did before I posted). I didn't do much searching on the web in general. Frankly, since I won't be using this trans in the long run, I'm only willing to spend so much time on it. But I did find some threads that talk about taking out the drain plug and looking for a stamp on the ring gear of the front diff, or failing that marking one gear and counting teeth. This is what I'll do once I get the trans out of the car.

I realized SubieMech's chart only covers up to '85 so that leaves a lot of options open.